I would like to hear from revision patients only

csky20
on 12/6/12 6:19 pm - Bedford, TX

i had my revision DS on october 25th.  im just  now learning that revision patients take longer to loose weight than virgin DS'ers?  why is that?  have any of you experienced the very slow weight loss?  please tell me about your journey, and what your DR may have told you about revision weight loss.  i just didnt know there was a difference in weight loss by being either revision or virgin DS'er

MsBatt
on 12/6/12 11:16 pm

Not a revision patient, and I don't even play a doctor on TV. Heck, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn lately. (*grin*)

What were you revised from? The common belief about why revision patients lose slower is that the previous WLS has caused further damage to your metabolism, making weight loss even harder.

csky20
on 12/7/12 2:39 am - Bedford, TX

thats a bit discouraging....especially after getting a second surgery to loose weight. whats the sense of getting a revision if the weight loss is going to be harder?

MsBatt
on 12/7/12 3:28 am
On December 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM Pacific Time, csky20 wrote:

thats a bit discouraging....especially after getting a second surgery to loose weight. whats the sense of getting a revision if the weight loss is going to be harder?

Harder than if you DS was a 'virgin' surgery, not harder than with your failed WLS. See, when you get your first WLS, it really shocks your body. You have a sudden, drastic reduction in calories, plus a sudden malabsorption of part of what little you do eat. If you've previsously had this shock, the second time around your body's like "oh well---we're survived this before."

I know that's pretty simplistic, but rest assured that while your loss wll be slower than for a virgin DS, you WILL get there. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

yvettetas
on 12/11/12 10:43 am

Ms Bat I have a question for the revision as well for slower weight loss . What about if you had the surgery and you lost it slow the first time. Like for me. I lost 15 lb the first week and 3 lb 3 months later I only lost 65 lbs in 18 months with the help of taking diet pills? so If I get a revisions will it be even slower then that? 10 months after having the surgery I was only down 22 lb. so my Dr. put me on  phentermine   diet pills, which help me to loose a little bit faster. I had drop 11 lb in 2 wks . then my dr. did an endoscopy test where it showed my stomach was small , but my metabolism was kicking in to burn calories. I was told I needed to eat more to loose weight.

Will it be slow for me

MsBatt
on 12/12/12 9:33 am

This is one of those 'your mileage may vary' questions. I see that your first surgery was the RNY. Should you revise to the DS, I'd expect you to lose better due to the higher degree of malabsorption, and the more dramatic change it makes in your metabolism---but you probably would NOT lose as fast as if you were having the DS as your first WLS.

It also depends in part on how much weight you have to lose. When you had your RNY, how many pounds were you from the weight you wanted to reach? If you only wanted to lose, say, 75 pounds, losing 65 pounds in 18 months isn't so bad. If you wanted to lose 200 pounds, then---65 pounds in 18 months is terrible.

celticfaery
on 12/7/12 1:07 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I was sleeved in 2007 and revised to the DS in October.  It was my understanding that when you have the virgin DS, you are reaping the benefits of the TINY tummy in addition to the malabsorption so your rate of loss in the first 6-8 months will be greater compared to someone who was previously sleeved.  When I was first sleeved, I had to measure everything I ate and tablespoons were my serving sizes.  I had really good restriction right after being switched from the swelling, but that quickly went away and I could go back to eating my bigger servings.  Of course I'm eating only protein and a few veggies. 

So my rate of loss now (2 months post-op)...  would be like the 6-8 month DSer who is mostly relying on proper food choice and malabsorption to lose the weight.

But again, this is for a sleeve to DS revision.  What was your previous WLS?

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

csky20
on 12/7/12 1:25 am - Bedford, TX

i had the lapband in 2008 and really didnt loose much,  and gained it back.

celticfaery
on 12/7/12 1:39 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

What are your stats?  How much did you weigh at the time of your revision and how much have you lost so far?

I was 353 at my pre-op appointment and 337 at the day of surgery (Oct. 11).  This morning I was 310.  So I've lost 43 pounds in 10 weeks and 27 of that was in the 8 weeks since surgery.

After being sleeved (403 day of surgery), I lost 51 pounds during the first 2 months (pre-op diet was not required then).

So my rate of loss is a little slower.  I include my pre-op diet amount because that first 16 pounds would have fallen off during the first week post-op anyway.  =)

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

csky20
on 12/7/12 2:22 am - Bedford, TX

During my liquid diet before surgery i went form 308 to 296  since my DS i went from 296 to 288.  so 8 lbs lost since my ds 10/25/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1211 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 502 views