How does DS affect normal body functions/ketosis

texasrigdiver
on 12/14/12 9:11 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Since DS'ers only have 15-25% of their original stomach that provides restriction (weight loss strategy), and then re-routed intestines for a malabsorption component (2nd weight loss strategy) we can't eat nearly as much food, and what we do eat doesn't digest fully.  I understand those are proven strategies and this web site is slap pack full of success stories. there are also those that struggle because of a myriad of issues from non-compliance up to their own medical problems.

One thing I'm not seeing after being post op 15 days is that I am not in ketosis. I'm surprised by this because on diets where I keep carbs under 70 g per day for 3-4 days I easily go into ketosis and drop weight quickly. My max carb loading so far has been over 60g only 5 days and over 90g one day (I posted about that day as a learning lesson!). All other days have been around 45-50g/day and I'm not in ketosis. Does the DS procedure eliminate the bodies ability to go into ketosis?

I suspected I was going to be a slow loser because of some significant metabolism issues and since I've gained 6 pounds in the last 8 days I suspect I'm going to be correct.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

determineddanni
on 12/14/12 11:44 am, edited 12/14/12 11:46 am

i didn't experience ketosis until 2/3 month and i had even less too eat than you. i was iv fed for 2 months and i still didn't get it till 2nd month.

as you can see i did experience this, my skin smelled weird and my breath was funky. i was also weak. my nurse who was doing my iv therapy said she could even smell my ketosis :(

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Sandra C.
on 12/14/12 12:16 pm - Kalamazoo, MI

I know just how you feel, eating almost nothing, and not losing much, or very quickly. From the first day post surgery I tried the foods on my doctors list. I was not losing very much. All my life I could drop 10lbs quickly with the Atkins induction phase. I tried it post D.S. and had steady los of 1-2 lbs a day for a few months, with a few stalls. I kept my carbs under 20g a day for months, until I lost135 lbs to my goal of 125. I am lower now- 120-117. you can get ketosis strips at the pharmacy, they are covered by my insurance, but are just a few dollars. Basically I used high protein shakes with quality protein- Dymatize Elite, steak and chicken, mostly wings because I like them, and dark meat, its more moist. I cant eat fish, shellfish, some nuts, and eggs. i swell up. I know it took over a month to go into ketosis because I tried very hard to lose as fast as I could, but at first I lost slower than other pre surgery Atkins attempts. Close to the end of my losing I was only seeing a loss of 0.5 lbs a day, or nothing. Its all so strange, because I can eat more carbs now, and not gain. They go through me with lightening speed. I still have mostly protein shakes because I can double scoop to 50g protein per 16oz water, + heavy cream. Otherwise I cant eat enough protein to meet my daily requirements.

Basically, try dropping your carbs till you start to lose at a quicker rate. Be sure to have enough plain water- at least 32oz a day, and more, well over 64 oz with your shakes, and drinks. Don't eat till you are full, stop when comfortable. I think of it as snacking all day and night with only protein, never any big meals. I lost 135 lbs in 8 months. I have been easily maintaining for about 5 months. Tweak it till you are a happy camper- losing, drinking, eating and walking, with some weight lifting, and stretching. A good workout will help too, give you endorphins to be happy throughout major weight loss. It's not easy, I know.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

usandall
on 12/15/12 9:33 am

excellent response I am going to apply some to hope to get out of a rut stall

Sandra C.
on 12/16/12 2:06 am, edited 12/16/12 2:14 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Everyone has stalls. You can expect many stalls, while the body adjusts to quick weight loss, and replenishes large amounts of fluids  which can weigh several lbs. Even though I understand the reason for them, stalls are frustrating when the losses are at a stand still. You must keep up your food plan, don't get discouraged. Every time I stalled, I figured out a new tactic to help lose. Changing it up with different protein foods, and new exercises, increased  weights and increased speed walking the track at the gym all helped me lots. I am still doing this to maintain. Its all still working for me. New lifestyle, new foods, new wardrobe, new body, new me. I love it  !!!!

I believe the best change for increasing weight loss I accomplished other than the D.S.  was to change my food choices to all gluten free. Avoiding all flour products removed so much swelling all over, and helped me keep a very low carb diet. When I eat any now, one day of a few cookies causes swelling to return to my legs just like before. I am a believer in going gluten free. I heard the USA grains have been genetically altered. Not so in Europe. People have noticed they can enjoy gluten products with no ill effects, return to the US and have health issues. Look into it  on line, its interesting.

My cat was so wide, with most of his weight around his middle. My daughter kept his bowl full of dry food, since she was away all day. He ate more than any kitty should. His tail actually looked shorter with his ever increasing weight. I moved him home with me and put him on a gluten free diet of tuna, salmon, fish, home made chicken broth, and an occasional small hand full of dry food. I didnt weigh him to be able to know the exact loss. now he's very lean, not too thin,  muscular, runs all over the house and up the stairs, jumps into my lap with a loud purring when he couldn't jump before. He is so much happier, with a bright look in his eyes, and a longer looking tail. !!!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

usandall
on 12/16/12 3:06 am

my stall has been 4 or 5 months so I think I need to stop waiting for it to come off and work for it.  Thanks for the motivation

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 527 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 927 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 307 views