Trying to decide between the RNY and the DS surgery.

RainbowRN
on 12/18/12 11:14 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I am posting this on both forums to get the best info.  I am trying to decide whether I should have RNY or DS.  I have heard good and bad for both.  I know that most people don't have DS.  I have heard that its harder to have your insurance pay for the DS.  My BMI is over 50.  I kinda was looking forward to dumping because it will make me not eat the bad **** that got me here in the first place.  But I heard that with DS you lose more weight and have a very low rate of gaining it back.  I also heard that with DS you sometimes have awful diarrhea and gas.  Not looking forward to that.  I just wanna make the best decision for me.   What do you all think?

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Trish06
on 12/18/12 11:35 pm
DS on 12/06/12

If you havent been there already dsfacts.com is a good place to start. Best of luck with your decision.

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

southernlady5464
on 12/18/12 11:56 pm

Some facts to consider:

RNY'ers tend to regain about 18+ months out.

About 70% of the RNY'ers do NOT dump.

IF you eat carbs you can have bad gas and diarrhea with BOTH.

Can take NSAIDS with DS, can not take them with the RNY. If you already need them or have a family history of needing them consider this VERY carefully!

Depends on your insurance...according to your surgeon's website, they do not even do the DS. Please check at dsfacts for a surgeon who does.

You didn't mention co-morbids..a few to consider:

Diabetes, both resolve type 2 typically. But there is now evidence that it does not stay resolved for the RNY. Also reactive hypoglycemia is rampant among RNY'ers (also called late dumping).

High cholesterol: Both resolve but I can eat all the fat I want cause I only absorb about 20% of the fat I eat. Real butter, cream, bacon, etc are my best friends. Last cholesterol (and I run genetically high) was 179. My dh who also had the DS is running 149. And he eats more fat than I do.

GERD, supposedly the RNY cures that better than the DS but most of us who had GERD who also had the DS no longer have it.

Don't just ask here and on the RNY board...also check the Regrets and Revision boards to see what they have to say about the two surgeries.

Think twice, cut once.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

A. C
on 12/19/12 12:04 am

If these are your 2 choices, then go for the DS.  If you were asking between the sleeve and the DS, that is a big question.  Between RNY & the DS, no question!  Simply the DS. 

Research it ...   Really think about this...

When a person who has the RNY regains their weight... Then they go to a Dr who can revise them to a DS.  Why is that?  The DS will have long term results. 

It is ultimately your choice!  Also think about this, by what I understand from a lot of vets - if you are a virgin to any WLS (I was), the DS has a certain synergy as a Virgin that rolls.  I would be very careful about the Dr.Choose wisely!

Who is the Dr in your area?

Best of luck to you!

RainbowRN
on 12/19/12 12:42 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

My doctor does do the DS but its not advertised for him.  Not sure why?

determineddanni
on 12/19/12 3:48 am

I have not seen any of your surgeons patients with the DS, are you sure is an experienced surgeon with the DS? Double check with that. I wouldn't want something to happen to you :(

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

RainbowRN
on 12/19/12 12:49 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Who loses weight faster the first year...RNY? or DS?

bugirll
on 12/19/12 1:10 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

I do not have any stats and it did not really matter to me which was faster.  What mattered to me was that the DS 1) produces more weight loss and 2) keeps it off.  If I had to guess, I would guess the DS was faster.  I am sure there is some study out there, but how fast you lose is meaningless if you don't lose enough or don't keep it off.

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
A. C
on 12/19/12 3:21 am

DS --NO QUESTION---

One thing to note, your body will dictate to you.. "Your Mileage May Vary"

I am 4.5 mo out and am down 110lbs.  I have had complications but the one thing I will say... For weight loss, this surgery works.  I am Gluten Free.  I am Lactose Free. I have a lot of protein shakes daily.  I actually enjoy them.

I don't crave sweets.  I do still want chocolate at times.  2 bites of dark chocolate, I'm fine. 

PLEASE do not go to a surgeon who is not experienced.  This is a big surgery.  You want a surgeon who knows what they are doing!!! 

The DS Facts website lists the surgeons by state.  Since this has become a popular surgery, there are more doing the surgery now than listed.  You want someone who knows what they are doing!  You want someone who's been doing it awhile.

I would tread very cautiously with a surgeon who does it but does not advertise it.

determineddanni
on 12/19/12 3:50 am

What you lose in the first year shouldn't even be a deal breaker.

You should be looking for the better surgery for 'you'.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1212 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 502 views