Not sure what carbs are best to stay away from

Sumundo311
on 12/19/12 1:48 am - Saskatoon, Canada

I have gotten into the habit of eating whatever I want overall. Then I found this site and am learning a lot, people are really taking care of themselves and following the proper diet, with this surgery, for me it has been 8 years and I have become very relaxed. I started at 355 and am down to 225 but I would like to lose more. I have begun to eat better, but I am not sure what we should stay away from, I know fruits, and bread are not great, but what about a sandwich, do we never get one? It is hard to make changes when you have let yourself go. I have been looking at bite, vit and exercise and I can't even begin to understand the eating pattern there, I eat very differently. I could use some support and someone to talk to that could help. I am not sure what to do, about getting on track, and I know everyone is different, that is something this site has shown me. I guess I am wondering if there is hope for me yet or if this weight is where I will be staying after all these years. Anyway thanks for letting me vent my frustration. This is a great site and I do enjoy the information.

Huneypie
on 12/19/12 2:01 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

You can try PB bread if you really want bread http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/mr-peanut-sand wich-bread.html

Berries are low sugar fruit, so things like strawberries, blueberries and blackberries are OK (maybe not the easiest time of year to obtain them).

You should get hold of a copy of Atkins and have a read as that's a great plan for a DSer.  You want high protein and low carb as much as poss.

Below are some good sites for low carb ideas:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-net-carb-carame l-machiatto.html

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/snack_recipes.html

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

bugirll
on 12/19/12 2:07 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

High protein (over 100 grams a day, at least), high fat (as much as your bowels will allow), low carb.  Carbs, ideally, should come from low carb vegetables.  Eat your protein first(at least 30 grams) with every meal, then eat your veggies.  Stay away from bread, potatoes, rice, beans, corn, peas, and other starchy stuff to maximize weight loss.  and of course, stay away from sugar.  How often do you get labs? Can you post them?  What is your vites regimen?   Eating right, getting your labs done, and taking appropriate vites for your labs all go together. 

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Jaiart
on 12/19/12 3:13 am - MI
All the delicious ones; cookies, cakes, crackers. Pies and ice cream... Lol but seriously the SAD staples...

Sumundo311
on 12/19/12 4:44 am - Saskatoon, Canada

I have no idea what my labs are the Dr just tells me everything is good, I have no idea what I would be looking for. I get them done once a year and so I assume their good. So Atkins is the way I should go, is that what I should be looking into?

JazzyOne9254
on 12/19/12 5:21 am, edited 12/19/12 5:23 am

Always have the lab send you a copy of your lab report, and enlist help in learning what good DS ranges are, and read your own labs!  That's the best way to head off any deficiency issues, by adjusting your vitamin, mineral and protein intake according to your labs. 

Your labs help you keep tabs on what you're doing right, and what can be improved upon.  I look at it as a reward when I have great labs, and my most recent was the first time I had deficiencies all over the place - my fault, for not sticking with the playbook!

It's true, Atkins is the closest to the DS eating style. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

bugirll
on 12/19/12 5:39 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

I track all my labs on a spread sheet so I can see which way I am going even if they are all "within normal limits".  I can almost guarantee you that your doctor is not comparing one set of labs to another, just looking at them and saying to self, "well they are all 'within normal limits'".  DSers want most of our labs near the top end of "normal" with the exception of PTH, we want that low. You can have massive downward shifts and still be WNL.  It can take a long time to fix a low value.  You also can not fix what you do not know. 

I asked about your labs because your surgeon has not adequately educated you about your nutritional needs(hence this thread), I figured you had not been educated on labs and vites.  This is very typical of DS surgeons.  They either give not enough info or the wrong info concerning food, labs, and vites.  This is why we need to get hold of copies of our labs.

preachermomma37
on 12/19/12 4:55 am - TN

Try tracking on www.myfitnesspal.com I only look at my protein, carbs and fat & not too seriously at my fat except to make sure I am getting at least 75+ grams a day. I am in the weightloss phase right now. I am 7 months post op and have lost 133 lbs and have 50 more to get to goal. I stay under 60 grams of carbs a day. I get 125-150 grams of protein. I try to get at least 100 oz of water in a day. I have to use a shake a day to get in that much protein. Good luck getting the rest off.

JazzyOne9254
on 12/19/12 5:26 am

preachermomma -

75g of protein a day is a bit low for the DS.  We usually need a minimum of 90-100g daily, though most of us shoot for more than that.   60-75 g of protein is usually what I've seen recommended for RNY's.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

bugirll
on 12/19/12 6:39 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

She said 75 of fat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1053 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1216 views
Need help for my mom