Were you a slow loser but eventually made it to goal? Is it possible?

fattynNC
on 2/3/13 3:56 am
DS on 08/28/12

I was Lap-Band to DS revision on 8/28/12.  I have only lost 65 lbs in 5 months.  I am thrilled for this but am noticing that others are outpacing my loss by a bunch, sometimes even doubling my loss.   I am a 5'6" female with a very large German frame (confirmed by doctor's measurements) and started at 310 lbs.  Now I am 245 lbs. The online weight tables say I should be no more than 160 lbs to be normal weight but I am thinking a little more than that- maybe 175 or so. 

So my question is- According to the tables I should lose from 310 down to 160.  That is 150 lbs excess body weight that needs to be lost.  I have lost 65 lbs in 5 months.  Do you think I will make it to a normal weight?

Were any of you slow losers like me but still made it to normal weight?  How much did you lose and how long did it take?

Thanks,

Wendy

beemerbeeper
on 2/3/13 4:04 am - AL

Wendy,

My belief is that if you eat low carb high protein moderate fat and eat a LOT of protein and drink about a gallon of water a day that you have every right to  believe that you will get to your goal AND below.

I believe that it is totally doable because you have the best weight loss tool and an easy to follow diet.

I also believe that accountability for what you eat will help you tremendously.  I posted (and still do) on the Bites and Vites thread and learned a ton about hidden carbs, easy to fix protein ideas, low carb foods that satisfied my chocoholism, and more by reading that thread.

Go to all the low carb sites you can find and write down low carb recipies.  Try them and the share the ones you like the best.

That's all I've got except a positive belief that you can absolutely reach your goal.

~Becky

Valerie G.
on 2/3/13 4:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For some reason, revisions seem to lose slower than virgin DS.  I'm not sure why.  Lets not discount, though, the amount you've lost here.  In a year's time, at your current rate, you'll have lost nearly 120 lbs, which isn't far from the 145 lbs I lost in 14 months, so yeah, I totally think you can be successful with the DS.  You may not have it as easy as others, but you can definitely do it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

determineddanni
on 2/3/13 6:45 am

1st revisions lose slower.

2nd just because your large boned means nothing. i am a large frame and it does not affect your loss, it just that you will not be a skinny mini (petite). which is physically impossible with our frames. i am skinny but i am no***** bitty. most people think i weigh a lot less than i look but because i have big bones hiding under there i will always weigh on the top end of the BMI normal range.

3rd just stick to high protein and low carb and you will get there

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

PattyL
on 2/3/13 6:50 am

I was a virgin DS and I never hit a 'normal' BMI.  I'm 10 years post so it's not likely I ever will either.  But I still believe the DS was my best shot, there's nothing better out there.  I did what I could including extremely low carb.  I still diet all the time.

But there's no doubt I am much better off than I would have been without surgery.

The only thing you can do is move as much as possible and TOTALLY avoid carbs.  This will give you the best shot at success!

2renee
on 2/3/13 8:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Uhm - ok surgery sister.  You are still on track to lose it all.  Please refer to DSfacts.com and re-read the weight loss section.  People have said time and again that revisions lose a bit slower than virgin DSers.

We had surgery on the same day.  I have lost 91 pounds to your 65 - yep its true BUT i am also 5'11 and started at 345 on surgery day and was a virgin DSer.     These are my numbers 345 - 179 = EWL 166 pounds.     91 pounds lost divided by 166 total EWL  x 100 =  54% of goal reached in 5.5 months.

Yours play out as follows 310 - 160 = EWL 150 pounds.   65 pounds lost divided by 150 total EWL x 100 = 43%   So you see, you might be a couple of percentage points behind but being a revision, I think you are rocking your DS. Keep up the good work.  We'll both get there.

Renee 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 983 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 446 views