OK VETS DO YOU TAKE FISH OIL?

beemerbeeper
on 2/12/13 8:32 am - AL

I haven't been.  Should I?  How much would I have to take to get any benefit from it?  I really can't afford the Coromega right now.

~Becky

MajorMom
on 2/12/13 8:40 am - VA

I take Barlean's fish oil swirl. It's very similar to Coromega but tastier. I squeeze a couple of tablespoons into my lunchtime shake.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 2/12/13 10:32 am

I do but it's just because they are there.  I got a bunch of bottles free so I take it.  I won't pay for it and when it's gone, it's gone!

I also give it to my dogs every day.  They think it's treats!

buffalobillsfan
on 2/12/13 10:46 am - CA

I take this because it isn't an oil and I only take one per day or other day if I'm poor :)

http://www.vectomega.com/

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 4:44 am - AL

If I knew we actually absorbed this I would try it.  Where do you get it and how much is 30?  I'm going to ask Kayla B our resident absorbtion expert what she thinks.  Thanks for telling us about it.

~Becky

buffalobillsfan
on 2/13/13 10:59 pm - CA

I had sent the company an email and description/picture of our anatomy.  They had to talk to their scientific staff but they did feel that it would be absorbed.  You can also try that route. 

Even when i was taking fish oil my primary physician felt that even at 20% absorption rate was better than 0%.  He felt it was an important supplement. 

MsBatt
on 2/12/13 12:13 pm

I tried it for a while, but it made me burp like crazy---and they were seriously nasty burps, too. No more fish oil for me.

LadyLucky
on 2/12/13 12:43 pm - KS

What is the benefit of taking fish oil?  Is there any extra benefit for a DSer?

puppysweets1
on 2/13/13 10:17 am, edited 2/13/13 10:18 am - CA

It is thought that there is a connection between absorption of D and calcium and EFAs as related to osteoporosis, which can be very important to DSers because some of them have a big problem with that.  Most especially postmenopausal DSers.

Here is a link that might interest you.  It is from 1997 so maybe there is something more current out there?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163782797000076

Calcium metabolism, osteoporosis and essential fatty acids: A review

• Department of Physiology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
  • Scotia Pharmaceuticals Limited, Castle Business Park, Stirling, Scotland, U.K.

Abstract

Essential fatty acid (EFA)-deficient animals develop severe osteoporosis coupled with increased renal and arterial calcification. This picture is similar to that seen in osteoporosis in the elderly, where the loss of bone calcium is associated with ectopic calcification of other tissues, particularly the arteries and the kidneys. Recent mortality studies indicate that the ectopic calcification may be considerably more dangerous than the osteoporosis itself, since the great majority of excess deaths in women with osteoporosis are vascular and unrelated to fractures or other bone abnormalities. EFAs have now been shown to increase calcium absorption from the gut, in part by enhancing the effects of vitamin D, to reduce urinary excretion of calcium, to increase calcium deposition in bone and improve bone strength and to enhance the synthesis of bone collagen. These desirable actions are associated with reduced ectopic calcification. The interaction between EFA and calcium metabolism deserves further investigation since it may offer novel approaches to osteoporosis and also to the ectopic calcification associated with osteoporosis which seems to be responsible for so many deaths.

scoob
on 2/13/13 8:49 pm - Somerset, KY

I take fish oil and flax seed oil several times a day to help with constipation per my surgeons PA and the NUT. It has helped a lot. Any other benefit is great!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1047 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1204 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 500 views