Started the vitalady DS prepack

ashleamarcelle
on 2/14/13 12:08 am - TX
I started yesterday and I cant believe how many pills this is and how big they are. Any suggestions encouragement?

I feel a little nauseous after taking a batch.

Ashlea Marcelle PawsRanchRescue.org                                                                                    Saving one dog will not change the world, but it will change the world for that dog. unknown

puppysweets1
on 2/14/13 12:56 am, edited 2/14/13 1:18 am - CA

Resistance is futile.  So practice, practice, practice.   Somehow or other you need to get comfortable with taking a good number of pills because you have to do it for the rest of your entire life.  If you question your ability to take, or your dedication to taking, lots of pills/ supplements then WLS is/was a bad choice.  Of course you know this which is why you are trying so hard to get your supplements regimen in order..

That said, you could try dividing them up into smaller batches.  Maybe don't take on an empty stomach.  Some have found it easier to swallow a handful of pills with something other than water.  OJ, for instance, or chocolate milk...something thick like that may mask the lumpiness of the pills as you swallow.  Others use liquid forms of some pills and some DSers add certain vitamins to their blender when making protein smoothies.  Also have heard that calcium can be dissolved in water or other beverages. But since taking supplements more than once a day for the rest of your life is mandatory with the DS, making peace with process is also mandatory.  Resistance is futile. You can do this!

MajorMom
on 2/14/13 1:14 am - VA

Only take 1 iron capsule this week. Take 2 capsules next week and only progress when you don't get nauseous after taking them. Start them up as slowly as you need to, we're all a little different in how we tolerate things.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

micheleladendorf
on 2/15/13 2:39 am

well, i started them over a month ago! it's a bunch thats for sure.

obviously, i take them all at once to get it over with! im not much nauseous. i just find myself really regretting that time of the day and miss occasionally. i have to knock that off1 my surgery was 07.

ashleamarcelle
on 2/15/13 8:12 am - TX
You take all the batches at once? Isn't taking the iron with the calcium contraindicated?

Ashlea Marcelle PawsRanchRescue.org                                                                                    Saving one dog will not change the world, but it will change the world for that dog. unknown

Huneypie
on 2/16/13 10:43 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

You need 2 hours between batches and definitely don't mix iron and calcium as you won't absorb the iron otherwise.  You can only absorb around 500mg of calcium at once.  Vitalady does 3 batches of 600mg in her starter pack to get something approaching a sensible does.

I'd start with Vitalady pre-packaged vites and then tweak as per your labs.  They're good DSer doses and appropriately batched up.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

micheleladendorf
on 2/22/13 12:40 am

no i dont take the whole days worth at once. i take them in batches as the vitalady recommends! i just mean that i take each batch down the hatch! i dont drag the batches out over an hour, i just take them. i will say, i am feeling better and its just been a month!

i am getting in the groove :)

southernlady5464
on 2/15/13 8:27 am

What majormom said...

Now, once you get labs done after surgery, you can adjust and may end up taking more or less. I take fewer but I am basing on my lab results.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jashley
on 2/15/13 11:28 pm
DS on 12/19/12
On February 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM Pacific Time, ashleamarcelle wrote:
I started yesterday and I cant believe how many pills this is and how big they are. Any suggestions encouragement?

I feel a little nauseous after taking a batch.

Me too. 

There is always one pill that makes me sick to my stomach, and another that gives me gas.  I don't even try to take the morning batch.  I bought different iron.  Truely the most miserable part of my DS for me.  How fortunate for me that taking a bunch of pills is the worst part now.     

I now open the batch, and take 1 at a time, wait 30 minutes, take another, rinse, repeat. 

ashleamarcelle
on 2/15/13 11:53 pm - TX
I was diagnosed with viral gastroenteritis after going to the hospital Thursday night. So im holding off on the pills for a couple days til i get better. Maybe the vits weren't making me sick. Maybe being sick was making me sick. Maybe both.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 434 views