I Think Dairy is My Problem

PSaadallah
on 3/7/13 9:28 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I took everyone's advice and have been working to figure out what is causing me so much problem with bloating.  After several days of adding foods back in, it looks like dairy is the culprit - darnit!!  Never had problems before surgery, but now it's giving me problems.  Obviously I can try to eliminate it as much as possible, but that also eliminates so many things that are getting me through the low carb part of this.  Has anyone had success taking Lactaid or something else to help tolerate dairy products?

beemerbeeper
on 3/7/13 10:54 am - AL

A huge percent of us become lactose intolerant to some degree.  Most of us can do cheese and heavy cream but not milk.  I can't do soy/almond/lactaid milk but I think it is because the sugar is so high in them.  So I just don't do milk. 

It isn't unusual at all.

Another thing that a high percentage of dSers can't tolerate is wheat gluten.  It blows me up.  So I have become a proficient label reader and I avoid it like the plague.  It is hidden everywhere.

You'll figure out your own systems likes and dislikes and will adjust.  Small price to pay to be so healthy.

~Becky

fullhousemom
on 3/7/13 9:32 pm
I never had a problem pre-op, but went thru a stage of lactose intolerance about 3 months out. I bought a bunch of lactaid and took a few, but basically, I just avoided milk. I never had a problem with cheese, so doing without milk wasnt a big deal for me.

I dont know when I was able to tolerate milk again. Maybe 6-9 months? At 1 1/2 years out, I have been drinking chocolate milk daily for quite a while with no problem.
southernlady5464
on 3/7/13 10:19 pm

I developed full blown lactose intolerance post-op...took lactaid pills the first year. I don't take them now but also am still sensitive to regular drinking milk. I use half & half in place of milk when cooking and just make my protein shakes with water.

You can get past it but it takes time.

I discovered that while I was not gluten sensitive, I AM sensitive to the preservatives used in store bought breads to make them shelf stable. As long as I make my own bread, I can handle it without bloat.

Good luck

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

thinlizzie12
on 3/7/13 10:55 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I just bought some carbmaster milk.....I will let you all know how it works out for me. I cannot do regular milk or skim either.

JazzyOne9254
on 3/8/13 2:18 am

According to my surgeon, almost all DSer's are lactose intolerant immediately post-op.  This usually goes away after a period of time, which varies with the individual.

Lactose free dairy products do help, and use the full fat versions.  Something I learned in my dietetics classes:  the lower the fat content in milk, the higher the lactose (sugar) content.

My DS, and the lack of knowledge of general Registered Dietitians,  inspired me to go back to school at my advanced age (55) to become a RD, specializing in bariatric post-op nutrition.

Also, I have been on disability for a number of years.  The DS is part of my strategy to get off disability and back to life.  The weight complicated treatment of  my illnesses (lupus/fibromyalgia), but now, medications to control the symptoms works much better.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PSaadallah
on 3/8/13 11:04 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

That is so cool that you went back to study bariatric post-op nutrition!  I almost think it should be a pre-requisite since we all seem to get such bad, or ineffective, advice from our surgery nutritionists.  

So glad to hear that your health problems are finally being addressed too!

JazzyOne9254
on 3/9/13 6:00 am

Thank you for your compliment! 

There's lots of chemistry involved.  It's fascinating, but also very hard work. As for becoming an RD, it's my new passion, and I'm out to change the way bariatric post-ops are advised with regard to their new dietary regimens.  Most of the RD's I've seen personally as a post-op advise DSer's the same as RNY's,  and our eating style is completely different! I want to make sure *everybody* is getting the right counseling, one patient at a time. I know I can't single-handedly change the WLS medical community, but I can do something!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

teachmid
on 3/8/13 7:38 am - OKC, OK
I'm not a milk drinker and never have been. I use heavy cream and occasionally half and half. Milk has way too many carbs for me.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Crazeru
on 3/8/13 8:15 am

I was lactose intolerant going into my DS and lactose, whey and gluten coming out.  You learn to modify how you eat.  I use extra cheese slices w/mayo between each slice and 4 oz of lunch meat and another 2-3 slices of cheese for a sandwich with 50-60 g of protein w/fat.  I can only eat 1/2 at a time.  I use water with my egg white protein, adding in peanut butter and a banana.  Lactaid never worked for me.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 833 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1091 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 365 views