Donating plasma?

morgangirl
on 3/13/13 11:48 pm - MI

I know as DSers we can't usually donate blood because it can take our vitamin levels too low and we already struggle to keep them up, but does anyone know if donating plasma carries the same risk?  Or is donating plasma something we DSers CAN do?

wings
on 3/14/13 2:38 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL

You cannot donate Blood or plasma, trust me, ask you surgeon.  Right now my blood and plasma levels are low and I almost died from a low hemoglobin of 6 and Ferritin level of 4 because of our malabsorption not from blood loss.

Ds pts do not recycle our own and without high volume we cannot survive.  So no.  Do not donate plasma.  I know you want to help ppl but you can no longer give only recieve. 

I have had to have 2 units packed RBC's in past two weeks along with iron infusion 3 weeks in row with a Vit B12 shot to bring me back up and now getting a port placed in my chest to recieve infusion of iron and possible albumin for rest of my life. 

I still would do DS again and again to never be fat again.

Carla

P.S.  Dr. Greenbaum and my hematolgist Dr. Rana are who told me DS pts can not donate blood or plasma because I wanted to donate some myself.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6HR7lf/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6HR7lf/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
MsBatt
on 3/16/13 9:43 am

"Ds pts do not recycle our own and without high volume we cannot survive."

Can you expand on this statement? I'm not really understanding what you're talking about.

docputer
on 3/14/13 8:16 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

This was one thing that saddened me when I found that I could no longer donate platelets or blood. I would not trade my DS for anything. I will find some other way to volunteer.

xr7conv
on 3/15/13 3:25 am - Omaha, NE
DS on 01/16/13

I did not know this.  I was thinking of donating in a couple weeks at work for a blood drive.  I had also thought of selling plasma to help pay off the loans I took for surgery....

Thanks

"Let us not glide through this world and then slip quietly into
heaven, without having blown the trumpet loud and long for our
Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Let us see to it that the devil will hold a
thanksgiving service in hell, when he gets the news of our departure from the field of battle." - C. T. Studd

xr7conv
on 3/15/13 6:32 am - Omaha, NE
DS on 01/16/13
As a follow up - I emailed my surgeon's office. They asked him and he said I could donate because they would check my hemoglobin and that would tell if the system would tolerate it.

"Let us not glide through this world and then slip quietly into
heaven, without having blown the trumpet loud and long for our
Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Let us see to it that the devil will hold a
thanksgiving service in hell, when he gets the news of our departure from the field of battle." - C. T. Studd

J J the Jet Plane
on 4/3/13 1:20 pm

I disagree, I pay way to much to keep my blood at a good level. Just because you can doesn't mean you "should." Just my opinion.

JJ

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1046 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1203 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 498 views