question about yogurt-ugh!

jzwife
on 3/26/13 6:52 am

I spoke with the RN this morning about doing a full liquid diet and she mentioned I could now do yogurt and to add a  little protein to it so I had about 2-3 oz of yogurt and added in some powdered protein to try and  get my protein levels up. I have so much fullness in my stomach and have had that feeling for the last 3 hours. I can't tell if its gas and if my body just isn't ready for yogurt yet or not but I am on the verge of feeling ALMOST miserable. Has anyone experienced this? What did I do wrong?

MajorMom
on 3/26/13 7:11 am - VA

I'm not really sure. My dietitian kept everyone off of yogurt and other dairy for a few weeks post-op. She thought that everyone was a little lactose intolerant at first. She recommended Lactaid milk and water to mix with your protein powder. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jzwife
on 3/26/13 7:36 am

Thanks Gina- Trial and error I guess. I have only been out a week. I have always been lactose intolerant but never seemed to have a lot of problems with yogurt or cheese in the past so didn't think twice about it. I guess I should get up and do a few laps thru the house to keep things moving!

MajorMom
on 3/26/13 7:56 am - VA

Yeah, that might help. I hope you feel better quick.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PSaadallah
on 3/27/13 10:44 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

When I was a few weeks post-op and adding new foods I had a couple of occasions when I had that "full" feeling.  It really helped to take a couple of Gax-X chewables and walk briskly around the house (march).  Stop occasionally and bend deeply.  If it's gas you might be able to burp some of it out and greatly improve the discomfort.  Mine was primarily from dairy.

thinlizzie12
on 3/26/13 11:37 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I didn't do yogurt until about 3-4 weeks out. Get some SF pudding.....loved it and killed the powdered protein taste for me. Pudding saved me!

Valerie G.
on 3/26/13 11:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It may also be the kind of protein powder, too.  Before you give up on yogurt, try it without the protein powder first and see if you get the same effect.  Whey is also a dairy product, and people can extend the lactose intolerance to that.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

A. C
on 3/26/13 1:23 pm

I started at about 6mo.  I use the Whole Foods 365 brand (their generic) with 18grams of protein.  I add a scoop of unjury and a little almond milk.  It's like a mousse!  Love it!

It may take you awhile to get there...

jzwife
on 3/26/13 2:10 pm

Thanks for all the great thoughts. I am finding that many things as an RYN are affecting me totally different as a DS. I don't know if that is a permanent thing or if things will level out after while. I am using a lot of the protein drinks I used previously and am not  having a lot of success so this is going to take a lot of tweaking for me. I'm not discouraged- just a little challenged !

Thanks everyone

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1167 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 431 views