2 step DSers, are there a lot out there?

nicholivolkoff
on 4/6/13 12:03 pm - Canada

Hi, just wondering if there are a lot of 2 step DSers here, having VSG alone at first. If so, which surgery was worse to handle, the top or bottom half?

Thanks in advance!

leanmama
on 4/6/13 10:40 pm, edited 4/6/13 10:41 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

Sounds like dance club The DSer's 2 steppers Ye Ha !!

One member here.

Part deux   was MUCH more painful and more recovery time than the VSG ( easy peasy) Having trouble wanting to eat, not hungry and texture issues.

I had an  enourmous amount of adhesions for the surgeon to dissect due to previous hysterectomy, where I was butchered, and fillet'd open  done about 15 years ago.  My first 2 hrs of DS #2 OR ws due to that and the abd hematoma's at the 8 lap sites were very  very swolllen, bruised, hard and now itching.  Off narcotics on OTC pain meds. walking better.  Low energy, not gettting the 100 grams of protein in yet. fluids check. Turning a corner not.  Remember everyones recovery is different. God bless your journey. laugh Maja in St Louis, MO

nicholivolkoff
on 4/6/13 11:11 pm - Canada

Maja, I wish you a fast turn around and some relief quickly. Thanks for your input. I wi**** was easier for you.

Valerie G.
on 4/6/13 11:03 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Is there a medical reason you're getting the DS in two parts?  

I ask because it makes twice the recovery, twice the cost, twice the risks.  Unless it's just too dangerous to do you all at once, if you intend on getting the DS, then jump in with both feet and do it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

nicholivolkoff
on 4/6/13 11:11 pm - Canada

I had a VSG in 2009, now regaining so going for the second part. I wanted the DS to begin with, but was only approved for VSG or bypass, forget the bypass, I chose VSG. That was covered my my Ontario insurance. The second step I pay myself.

Valerie G.
on 4/6/13 11:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ohhhh, that makes more sense.  From what I've seen, the recovery is about the same, but eating comfortably is much faster with the second part.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

nicholivolkoff
on 4/6/13 11:34 pm, edited 4/6/13 11:34 pm - Canada

That makes sense, no stomach to deal with the second time. I did not have the worst recovery the first time, laying around was fine but walking or getting up was terrible for at least 3 weeks. Really terrible. This is why I am so scared and worried about the second half. Thanks!

Huneypie
on 4/7/13 3:58 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I'd say that the 2nd part was easier but that may be more to do with expectations. I was told that I'd be out shopping the day after getting sleeved and there was no way on earth that was going to happen.

I had no complications with either surgery and had a textbook recovery for both thanks to some great surgeons.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

nicholivolkoff
on 4/10/13 5:55 am - Canada

Thanks Hunypie!

Jensch
on 4/7/13 12:54 pm - San Francisco, CA
DS on 12/05/12
The recovery was similar for me - easier to eat since my sleeve was 2 years old. Weight loss has been very slow! I've lost 28 pounds since my switch on 12/5/12. But my diabetes is totally controlled and I stopped the regain.

The change in my body has been challenging in terms of bathroom and energy... And still- I'm very pleased with the results so far. Accepting that I may never make it to goal but will be happy wherever I land!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 766 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1056 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views