How many carbs a day after DS surgery???

dustycroy
on 4/7/13 12:42 pm
DS on 05/14/13

How many carbs should I have a day after DS surgery?,, and does the amount change the further out you are?

Thanks

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

PattyL
on 4/7/13 1:04 pm

Everything about the DS is YMMV.  While you are trying to lose all the weight, the only good carb is one you don't eat.  Just lose the weight first, experiment with carbs later.  After you lose the weight, you have to figure out how many you can eat without gaining.  Some people can eat pretty normally and others can't.  I for one have to watch the carbs very carefully!

beemerbeeper
on 4/8/13 9:46 am - AL

Shoot for none.  Tha's what I did.  Of course it is not possible, but whenever I could I did not eat the carbs.  I cheat now but it shows up really fast in my weight.  The only way to keep my weight stable is to stay far away from carbs.  Luckily there is so much else I can eat that it isn't hard.  There is a substitute for almost any carb you want:  Brok's Pizza, Flourless PB Cookies, etc...

~Becky

dustycroy
on 4/8/13 3:56 pm
DS on 05/14/13

I guess I respond well to rules, and It would make it easy for me if I was just told a number.

20, 50, I dont know, just some where to start.  Thanks for the food tips, they will come in handy..

P. Poster
on 4/8/13 10:29 am

You wont be eating anything the day after your surgery, and will be on a liquid diet for quite some time while you are healing.  Once you are cleared for solids, I wouldnt let a carb slip your lips.  You will have so much restriction, protein needs to be the only thing you eat.  Once you are further out, closer to or at goal, know your system and your restriction and intolerances, then you can play with carbs.  I am VERY *lucky* (I dont know if its really luck at all, actually) in that carbs dont bother me much and it takes me binging on them for a long time heavily to move the scale, but I am also VERY active now.  YMMV, but in essence, carbs are the devil and you should take the time you have your restriction and rapid loss to retrain your palate and cooking/eating lifestyle to find alternatives.  I still at 3 years out automatically eat all my protein first, reach for protein snacks and limit carbs wherever I can. I DO splurge and have cheat days, but I restrict carbs heavily a few days before a cheat and after ,and plan my carbs around what I want most- is it gonna be pizza or cake or ice cream or....  

R. Parton
on 4/8/13 11:41 am - TN
How long is your common channel? I wonder if that has to do with your tolerance to carbs.
P. Poster
on 4/8/13 11:53 am

Its about 100cm.  

dustycroy
on 4/8/13 3:53 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Can I ask if you have any problems with your vitimans being low?  My Dr. usually does longer

common channels, to prevent that, but I really want to reach goal, and Im 370 now, and I want

to get to 150, and worried I wont reach it.  I'll be talking to his nurse on the phone about this tomorro.

I was thinking about asking for a 125cm CC.  I just dont want to do all of this and still be big....uhg.

P. Poster
on 4/8/13 11:17 pm

Nope, I have no issues.  I follow a variation of the Vitalady plan and use her vitamins.  I have found I need more D and A and E than what she calls for, but I dont need a LOT of the other things on her plan at all.  Im whittled down to about 18 pills a day now, including calcium, and iron and vitamin C and B12 sublingual.  I got labs every 3 months for the first year and tweaked quite a bit,  and now I do them every 6 months and adjust as needed.  Im currently trying to figure out how to get all the B vitamins EXCEPT B6, because Im weird and my B6 is always high, without supplementing- and taking all the other B vitamins independently is a pain and expensive, LOL.  

dustycroy
on 4/9/13 3:59 am
DS on 05/14/13

Yes, Im seeing how this can be very expensive.  I talked to someone else with a longer common channel "175", and she says she onley has to take 3 centrim silver, "generic version of"  a day, and suppliment calcium, and iron, because the iron and calcium that is in there isnt the kind we need.  Im thinking this is what Im going to try first...   Expense wise this sounds easy and doable. But that is with a longver common channel......

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1214 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 504 views