Vitamin Question..please help!

jnicole79
on 4/25/13 1:26 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13

My vitamin letter from my surgeon states that if I buy capsules or tablets I have to open or crush them for the first two weeks.  Do I then put them in food or drink or take them straight? Should I just purchase gummy and chewables? I'm trying to decide between Vitalady and the Bariatic Advantage website.  The vitamin amounts I received from my surgeon are lower than Vitalady's recommended plan.  His plan also does not include iron, zinc and maybe a couple others.  I already know I'm a little anemic so I do feel I should add iron.  Should I use the surgeons plan and take more? Just kind of confused on what to do.  Thanks for any help you can give.

MajorMom
on 4/25/13 2:34 am - VA

I use mostly Vitalady's capsules of the various vitamins. I tried my surgeon's plan and we jus****ched my levels go down. He approved Vitalady when I was 9 months out. Also, I never crushed or took vitamins the way they are telling you. My dietitian said capsules should be fine from the get go. Try them and see how you do....so I did.  : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jnicole79
on 4/25/13 4:30 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13

Ok Thank you!

PattyL
on 4/25/13 2:38 am

Vitalady is the better of the two.  If I had money to burn, I would just be on her plan.  She is good and she did the work/ research so she deserves to be paid for it.  I buy most of mine from Puritan when they have a buy 2 get three free sale.  And if you are anemic now you need iron for sure.

I never crushed a pill.  And it will be almost impossible to take enough gummy anything to get the amount of vites we need.  If I HAD to crush a pill I would probably just buy a 2 week supply of chewables.  Post your surgeon's vite list and let us take a look at it.

jnicole79
on 4/25/13 4:34 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13

The list he gave is daily:

one Multivitamin

Calcium Citrate w/Vit D1200-1500mg

Vitamin B complex 50 one tab daily

Dry vit D 10,000 daily 

Dry Vit A 10,000 daily.

larra
on 4/25/13 6:59 am - bay area, CA

Your surgeon may be an excellent DS surgeon, but as with many others, the vitamin info he has provided is totally inadequate. Most of us take 50,000 units dry D daily, just for one example. And more calcium than that. And also iron , zinc, and vitamin K. And some people need copper. and you might not need the B complex at all - I haven't supplemented any B vitamins yet, and after over 7 years I still have good levels of all the B vitamins.

This is not to say you have to follow the Vitalady plan to the letter, but it's a good starting point, certainly better than starting with below minimum amounts and they playing catch-up when your levels tank. I use some of her products and some from other sources.

Well, at least he didn't recommend ADEK's, so let's give him credit for that.

Larra

jnicole79
on 4/25/13 8:21 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13

Thanks so much Larra for the info.  I think I'll just order Vitaladys DS pack and start there.  I need as much as the guess work taken out as possible. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views