Do the best long term losers have shorter CC's?

nicholivolkoff
on 4/26/13 2:52 am - Canada

Just wondering if the best long term losers have short common channels. Such as 75cm. I want the most bang for the buck and for the longest time, should I request a short channel? I would rather be too skinny than not lose enough. I am a lightweight, 185 pounds at 5'3". My DS is this Monday. I have already been sleeved, my highest weight was about 250.

on 4/26/13 3:06 am

Not quite it depends on a number of factors including how commented you are, and how truthfully you follow your diet.

Vets what do you say?

celticfaery
on 4/26/13 3:21 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I think the biggest factor is personal anatomy.  You could have 2 people the same height and weight and they can have longer or shorter intestines than each other.  When I asked my Dr about it, I was also concerned with the long term.  I'm a BIG girl and I've already been through 6 years with the sleeve and a hell of a lot of regain.  I don't want to have to go through this again.  His response was that normally he sticks with 100cm CC length.  The best numbers for most people (depending on their length of intestines was between 75cm and 125cm.  This is why he chooses to stick with a middle number.  But the final determination isn't made for CC length until he is in there and can see how long the intestines actually are.

It certainly made sense to me. 

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

nicholivolkoff
on 4/26/13 3:47 am - Canada

Yes, that makes sense. I guess the surgeon will determine what is needed as he goes. Thanks!

jashley
on 4/26/13 6:10 am
DS on 12/19/12

Everyone is different.  I did not want the 50 that my surgeon wanted to give me.  I wanted 100 because I didn't want to deal with the diarrhea and malabsorbtion issues that come with a very short common channel.  I was given a 75 cc channel. 

I'm 4.5 months out - and wished I would have listened to my surgeon.  I wished I had gotten a 50 cc instead.  I am not losing the weight as well as I thought I would.  I dropped 50 lbs (50%), then it slowed down hard.  I'm in my early 50's and finding the weight a battle already, so I'll be having to watch my weight as I get older. 

And I don't think I will be able to get the rest (30 lbs) off to get to goal. 

So don't be scared to get the 50cc. 

PattyL
on 4/27/13 4:04 am

I have 75 and I wish I had 50...

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/13 2:26 pm

Aaaaand I'm the odd duck who has a long common channel and did just fine. I started out at 325 pre-op. Had surgery with Dr. Gary Anthone in Feb. of 2009. Lost 175 lbs. and have kept it all off. I have a 200 cm common channel. Go figure.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 767 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1056 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views