What's the point of a gastroenterologist?

Huneypie
on 5/1/13 4:54 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've been referred to a gastroenterologist about getting iron infusions, but what are they really for?

I just don't want to miss out on the opportunity of asking any pertinent questions, etc.  TIA.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 5/1/13 6:48 am - VA

I'm guessing a gastro could explain why you need an infusion because iron supplementation wouldn't work considering your malabsorption.  I think the other doc thinks you can absorb iron supplements and he's pushing you off on another doc.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 5/1/13 7:28 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
OK then I will have to ensure I stand my ground. Heck, the survey who does my follow up is recommending the iron infusions.

Thanks.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 5/1/13 8:04 am - VA

Something isn't adding up. Why the gastro if the surgeon is saying infusion?

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Huneypie
on 5/1/13 4:43 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Coz the NHS doesn't like to spend money until there's an actual problem. They're OK at cure but not so much prevention.

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 5/1/13 7:31 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Darn autocomplete that was meant to say surgeon not survey and I can't even modify my post on this phone!!

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 5/1/13 7:44 am - VA

Gotcha.  lol

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

J G.
on 5/1/13 2:51 pm

??? seems like you should have been referred to a hemotologist

Huneypie
on 5/2/13 3:43 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Cool - thanks, I've booked to see the doc again to see if I can get correctly referred.

I  my DS  

walter A.
on 5/2/13 2:46 pm - lafayette, NJ
Gasentrologist can address your malabsorption issues as a "medical expert". Technically ,reality proabluy you will teach him about your surgery,
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views