bad move on my part......

meq815
on 5/31/13 11:21 pm - PA

So, yesterday, as I was getting my nails done and eyebrows waxed, I started having horrific hunger pains- pangs, really- but that intense hunger, where I felt like I was gonna hurt somebody if I didn't eat!  Anyhoo, still being a rather Newbie, I had no snacks on hand, just my water.  When I finally got home, I perfectly poached 2 eggs, and toasted a piece of wheat bread.  I started throwing it down like it was my last meal.  Then BAM.  I literally could not take one more bite.  I got in ~ 1 egg and half  the piece of toast.  It was my first foray with bread.  And, believe me when I tell you, I suffered all night.  Just starting to get some relief this morning.

So, my question is, what about snacks to have on hand, so I don't get to that point again?  I am 5 weeks post DS, and as far as diet, I am unlimited except for nuts, seeds, raw fruits and veg.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Corbin Y.
on 6/1/13 12:01 am - New York, NY
DS on 03/26/13

I am now 9 weeks out, and I remember when I thought I was having hunger pangs, and did exactly what you did, and overate. When we have the DS, we stop producing ghrelin, which creates hunger pains.  What you were most probably feeling was acid reflux, or possibly gas.  At 6 weeks out, wheat bread is a MAJOR no - no.  Our bodies cannot digest the carbs in bread, hence your suffering.  

Did your Dr. prescribe you an acid inhibitor, such as Nexium or Prevacid?  If not, contact your doc about getting on one right away - it makes a world of difference.  

Snacks to have on hand depend on your intolerances.  I am intolerant to artificial sweeteners, lactose, and nuts, which limits my choices.  I still have in my fridge cubes of ham, mozzarella sticks (low lactose), and hummus.

I'm surprised at 5 weeks out, you were told no fruits - I was told soft fruits were ok.  I was not allowed to have wraps or anything like that with carbs until 8 weeks out.  My NUT says you need to limit your carbs, and only get them in natural good ways, like through fruits and veggies.   Some other easy snacks, if you can handle artificial sweeteners, are protein bars, mozzarella sticks, sausage, individual containers of greek yogurt.   Health food stores have a lot of good snack ideas, such as individual packets of peanut butter and such  - go to one, explain your needs, and they should be able to help. The general rule is the softer the better, protein good, carbs bad.  Soft veggies, especially green leafy ones, are good too for fiber.  Good luck!  It is a trial and error to find what works, but it feels great when you see those pounds and sizes go down, and you know you are rocking your DS! 

MajorMom
on 6/1/13 12:02 am - VA

Yep, wheat bread is the devil. So are rice and oats. Best to throw them all out if they are a temptation.  I keep pork rinds, endamame, JayRobb protein bars, Laughing Cow baby bel and wedge cheese, and deviled eggs on hand. When you say unlimited except for nuts, seeds and raw veggies and fruit, does that mean you can have them or can't have them yet?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 6/1/13 6:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm surprised about what bread. I thought it was the sugar in white bread that was the real culprit. Is there more going on there besides YMMV?

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

MajorMom
on 6/1/13 8:23 am - VA

The texture and consistency of wheat bread, rice and oats can clump up and give me issues. They are also high in carbs which I keep low. Gluten is also a problem. Carbs are evil regardless of what NUTs say.  ; )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 6/2/13 6:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Thanks. I'm with you on carbs. Still learning the ins and outs of the DS menu. winkI haven't felt comfortable doing much experimentation yet.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

bagaof4
on 6/1/13 1:32 am, edited 6/1/13 2:53 am - CA
DS on 09/27/12

Precious brand Sticksters cheddar or cheddar and colby heese sticks. Always keep them in my purse for a snack throughout the day.  6 gr protein, 8 gr fat and no carbs. I know they're supposed to be refrigerated, but I have been carrying them in my purse everyday for the last 7 months and never had a problem. Maybe a bit runny and softer on a hot day, but they've been fine! 

jashley
on 6/1/13 2:11 am, edited 6/1/13 2:11 am
DS on 12/19/12

I carry 2 shaker bottles, pre-loaded with 2 scoops of protein powder each (60 gms), in my car.  I have bottled water in there also.  If I have to, I will take a bottled water and pour it into the shaker bottle and have a protein shake on the spot.

I can get an extreme sugar drop if I'm really active, so I've learned to have high quality protein on hand at all times.  Protein shakes really fit that need for me, and I won't pay for it later with gas or diarrhea.

trumanorme
on 6/1/13 3:20 am - KS

I'm almost 2 yrs out, and bread still bothers me. It doesn't matter if it is wheat or white, it still gets to me. Rice doesn't bother me at all. Who knows why, but it is strange that some foods bother some of us, and not others.

dustycroy
on 6/1/13 6:45 am
DS on 05/14/13

I did this once by accident with a chicken leg.  I had been tolerating bits of ham meat in my soup really well, so I decided to try soft dark chicken meat.  Chewed it really good.  It was a small leg so it truely was onley about five bites, but it was probably three bites to many.  It was the first time I threw up since having the DS.  I was so uncomfortable I didnt wait for it to happen naturally, I made myself.  I didnt throw up the entire leg, but the small amout I did made me feel so much better.  Which was great, but the night mare still wasnt over.  It was like my sleeve was pluged up for a day and a half.  Scarey, it was hard to drink anything.  I thought I might have caused a blockage.  Lets just say I wont be eating chicken or any other meat of that texture for a long, long time.  If I ever get to where I feel that intense of an uncomfortable feeling again I have no problem with making my self throw up, at least then you dont have to suffer......

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1018 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1185 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 476 views