Does the pain and discomfort get any better soon?

mdehart_ames
on 6/15/13 1:40 pm - WA
DS on 06/11/13

I'm day four post-op from laproscopic duodenal switch. Does the pain and discomfort get any better soon? I'm hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so miserable 24/7. I get very little relief forty five minutes after pain meds and that only lasts an hour.

jashley
on 6/15/13 2:04 pm
DS on 12/19/12

The first 2 weeks were a bear.  Then it started to get better day by day.

If you pain meds are not working, call the PCP and try something else.  Also, I pretty much quit the pain meds after the first week and took Tylenol from then on.

dustycroy
on 6/15/13 2:32 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Usually patients are givin an anti inflamitory along with a narcotic.  I know afterwards for me the anti inflamitory helped so much.  May I ask what you are taking?

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

fullhousemom
on 6/15/13 10:27 pm
Theres no reason to be in any pain. You should be alternating two different pain meds and taking them before the effect of the previous one wears off. Those are general pain management instructions I have received with my DS and my C section. My son just had his wisdom teeth pulled and the oral surgeon told me the same thing.

If you are finding that you arent getting relief from a particular medication, that is a different story.
DivaJojo
on 6/15/13 11:07 pm - Atlanta, GA
Yes, the pain gets better. Typically, the first two weeks are miserable. You shouldnt be in much pain unless you're not keeping on a med schedule. The pain pump worked because it went right into your bloodstream. Now that you are out, the key to pain mgmt is keeping the meds in you system by staying on a strict schedule of every six hours ( or whatever the advised schedule based on your meds). It will get better.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

PeteA
on 6/16/13 5:17 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It should start getting better. I started to decrease my pain meds a week out and was able to discontinue at the two to three week mark. I'm concerned that the pain meds aren't helping more than that.  I would check with the surgeons office. maybe they can put you on something different. Make sure you keep to the schedule. First week is the hardest. Get well soon!

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

gary3917
on 6/16/13 10:47 am - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

I been out of hospital for DS and the pain was worse where the tube went in and had that for a week and it really hurt. They took it out a week later and boy......what a relief !! Are you still wearing the little bag with the tube ?

2renee
on 6/16/13 12:37 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

There is no reason for you to be in pain.  If the meds you have aren't working then you need to call your surgeon's office back so they can give you something else or adjust dosage.  I know we are all different but I saw a big difference after day 5.  Then I felt great as long as I didn't eat which I had to force myself to do.  Even one bite of scrambles egg was overwhelming at first but I felt better once I got over the fear of eating post op.

Hang in there.  You will turn the corner soon and sip, sip, sip your water.

mdehart_ames
on 6/17/13 12:31 am - WA
DS on 06/11/13

Thank you everyone. I haven't even been able to get to the computer to reply. I was never on a pain pump, I'm only on a narcotic and I take it faithfully every four hours. I go see the Dr this morning because they think I might have a bleed behind one of my incisions. Hopefully they can get the pain under control a little better for me. I would really like to start feeling a little better. I don't eat anything just pure liquid diet right now. I have a lot of gas as well. I walk all the time and take gas-x for it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views