doubling protein scoop????

starlightlu
on 7/13/13 9:28 pm - Canada

Hi, if memory serves me correctly, I once read on this forum that doubling the protein intake in a shake is useless because we can't absorb the doubled quantity. Am I correct? I have a cousin who takes protein shakes (not for DS purposes; in response to an illness) and she doubles the scoop to get maximum protein in one sitting. Is this useful?

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

MajorMom
on 7/13/13 11:43 pm - VA

I personally don't think so. I think of it as being absorbed like medicine...better to take smaller doses often rather than big doses less often.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

meq815
on 7/13/13 11:46 pm - PA

But I wonder, for a "normie", would she absorb more?

NoreenRT
on 7/14/13 12:27 am - Warner Robins, GA

i may be wrong, but i remember reading a post by vita lady stating we only absorb 30 gr of protein in a 60 minute period.  hopefully if i am wrong she will read this and set the record straight.

i use champion whey stack @ 1 1/2 scoops each shake/protein coffee

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Irishnurse
on 7/14/13 1:20 am
DS on 04/17/13

No you are correct. I learned this in the medical field. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

LadyLucky
on 7/14/13 6:39 am - KS
Yep, you're correct. It's on her web site in the FAQ section. "Protein is best absorbed in amounts of no more than 30g at a time." More info is included there so you can always hop on over and read the rest.
jashley
on 7/14/13 8:53 am
DS on 12/19/12

I double mine sometimes.

If I can absorb roughly half of all the protein I eat or drink, and my shakes are 30 gms per scoop - than I'm absorbing only 15 gms per scoop to begin with because of the DS. 

So I double scoop for 60 gms of protein, which I will absorb 30 gms because of the surgery.  And that happens to be the max of what our bodies can absorb in an hour any way.

And I have gone back to single scoops verses double scoops -  and I can tell the difference.  So I can tell that I am absorbing the double scoops @ 50%.

usandall
on 7/14/13 11:29 am

When you say you can tell the difference does that mean you are better off doubling?  I double mine and do not want to waste the money

jashley
on 7/14/13 2:53 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I knew I was getting less protein.  I was struggling with my energy and protein levels for the day.  I could tell my shakes were half by how I felt.  So I know that I am absorbing 1/2 of the 60 gms - which is 30 gms. 

The best way to see if it is a waste of money is try it yourself.  Do double scoops for a week.  Then cut it back to 1 scoop and drink twice as many shakes.  See how you feel.  See if you can tell the difference between the shakes and your energy levels.

I don't have time to drink 4 shakes.  I won't have any time to take my 2 irons for the day if I'm drinking that many shakes.  I have a hard enough time getting my iron in as it is.

usandall
on 7/15/13 8:33 am

I can see where it would be difficult to get in that many shakes.  I guess I can try for a week a morning shake and an evening shake instead of double all in the morning on the way to work.

Thanks you gave me an suggestion.  I hope like you I am absorbing just as much and can keep it as my morning routine. 

Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 769 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1057 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views