Long CC and not happy with weight loss

Special_KLJ2
on 7/18/13 12:52 pm - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I had my DS on 8/4/2010, weight 266 and I now weigh 199 and am not happy with this.  My common channel is 200cc (I don't recall the original length but it was quite long) would having it shortened to 100cc help me with losing some more weight (I think my tummy is still fairly small). Is that considered a revision?  Does anyone know if Medicare will pay for this?  My labs are usually all good, no shortages, I feel good but I do puke a lot (regular docs believe I have ulcers and who-knows-what for stomach issues).  Thank you.

Karen

Karen L. Johnson    
1MoreChance
on 7/18/13 3:38 pm - AL
Hi Karen,

I don't really know anything about revision so maybe someone else can tell you something about that.

I can just tell you what has helped me lose when I've put on a few lbs. Last year I cut back on eating and worked out at a gym. I didn't track my carbs I just kinda estimated. Also, I focused on getting in my water everyday which keeps me from wanting to eat as much. The weight melted off in no time! This year I cut back on carbs like last time and focused on my water with the intent of getting to the gym again. Well, the gym part hasn't happened yet AND the wt wasn't coming off near as fast. So I decided to REALLY watch my carbs. I started a food diary. I was actually eating a lot more carbs than I realized by estimating! Once I started getting the carbs to 50 or less I started losing quicker. Not as quick as when I was working out though! But I am now comfortable where I am and if I don't lose any more that's fine and if I do that's good too.
You may already be doing this idk. But I just thought I would share what has helped me. I know how discouraging it can be.

I hope this helps and I hope you are able to get where you want to be.

Ronnie

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

MajorMom
on 7/18/13 7:24 pm, edited 7/18/13 7:24 pm - VA

Might be worth talking to Dr K or Dr Rabkin in California. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 7/19/13 2:12 am

Do you have a copy f your surgical notes? If not, get one. 200 cms does sound like a rather long CC---do you know why Dr. Anthone chose to do this? Did you perhaps have some medical issues that malabsorption would make worse?

Like Gina said, consult with Dr. Rabkin or Dr. Keshishian.

larra
on 7/19/13 4:24 am - bay area, CA

And while you're at it, make sure they check your sleeve as well. It is NOT normal for someone with a sleeve stomach to be throwing up a lot. I'm surprised that your regular docs aren't taking an interest in this and arranging an upper endo for you - anyone can get an ulcer or have gastritis, with or without prior stomach surgery. You could be positive for H. pylori. Have  you been tested for this?

Obviously I don't know what's going on, but the problem  is that neither do your doctors, and they should. This may have nothing to do with your weight loss, but it's still something that should be addressed, esp if you are considering further surgery.

Larra

Special_KLJ2
on 7/19/13 4:58 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I have been scoped at least twice since my surgery and will be having another soon but they really don't say too much: gastritis (had that before surgery) and they say I am neg for H. Pylori (I have had this twice before surgery).  I have gone to the ER with pain around the belly button and the whole lower abdomen & vomiting and they say "contact dr. for scope".  I usually throw up at least 10 times a week, some days it is all day long, even if I eat just one bite of food.  Sometimes it is tons of thick mucous others it is foam and sometime the food.  I have contacted Dr. Anthone (who did my DS) to see about getting the intestines done. 

Karen L. Johnson    
1MoreChance
on 7/19/13 7:10 am - AL
Hi Karen,

Sorry about my earlier post. I was so tired when I read your post I could have sworn it asked if we could help you with losing wt.

The vomiting is not at all normal. I throw up occasionally but its rare. Usually if I eat to fast, something to dry or to much fat in a dessert after I've eat my protein meal. When I do throw up its like you described. A big blob of mucus (which I think is the fat) then the food. Maybe Dr. Anthone might notice something in doing a scope that the others didn't. If not, I would try to get in with one of the experienced revision surgeons.

I hope you can get something figured out soon.

Ronnie

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

larra
on 7/19/13 11:28 am - bay area, CA

OK, I feel better knowing that your doctors are taking this seriously...but would still recommend Dr. Keshishian in particular, as he scopes his revision patients himself. He sometimes finds problems others have missed. I don't know what's going on, but something is going on.

Larra

challie
on 7/19/13 5:18 am

That throwing up sounds really odd and quite serious.  I would focus on getting that sorted out before worrying about a revision for additional weight loss. You don't want ulcers eating away at what little tummy you have left.

A. C
on 7/21/13 1:10 am

You could have a stricture and/or narrowing in your sleeve which is causing the vomiting.  I would get to Dr K or Dr Rabkin on the west coast ASAP.  Vomiting is not normal for a DSr.  I was doing it in the middle of the night, they found a stricture/kink.  I have been fine now for the past 48 hrs and have been able to eat.  Get to a Dr before something bad happens DO NOT WAIT!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 435 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 882 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 296 views