three weeks post op,,, will i ever feel normal again?

rosegirlds
on 8/9/13 2:46 pm - IL

I am three weeks post op from my DS and still don't feel like I am back to my normal self.  I have a week left before I go back to work and I am petrified that I won't be able to live my normal life again.  How long until I am over all of these emotions and feeling off?

Thanks.

Irishnurse
on 8/9/13 3:06 pm, edited 8/9/13 3:12 pm
DS on 04/17/13

You will not start to feel like your old self until your second month at least. Take it one day at a time. YOu will get there. The first two months are rough and you are healing and adjusting. YOu just had major surgery and rearranged and chopped up your insides. You are not going to just bounce back...but YOU WILL get better and as you lose feel even better than you did before surgery. I feel awesome! I am three and half months out and I am finally back to my old self. I started feeling better at about two and half months. Now I feel AWESOME! 

Of course I am talking about physical more than emotional. The only emotional issues I really had was the first two weeks asking myself wth I did to myself. The only emotional issues I have now are ones of intense happiness when I can do something new or without pain. I get emotional and almost cry from relief or happiness and feeling blessed. The eating different has not bothered me at all. It has been quite fun finding recipes and ways to eat normal things in low carb. 

It is hard to believe that just three and half months ago I could barely walk 20 minutes without intense pain and was almost completely crippled and had diabetes. Now I have no diabetes and Today...I worked 8 hours came home, grocery shopped by myself, went to Wendy's, came home,carried in and put up groceries, went to the movies and sat at the very top row, went out for drinks after at Applebees and sat in a booth...normal ****normal **** that before would have put me down on the ground unable to walk for hours after. 

You will get there. =)

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

meq815
on 8/10/13 12:21 am - PA

Yes, absolutely.  If 3 months is the turning point for feeling back to normal, I would say 3 weeks is the the ****tiest time.  Hold on...hang in...you will get there....

Those memories of 3 weeks are still so fresh for me, they almost hurt to think about.  But you will slowly return, better than ever!

nativenewyorker64
on 8/10/13 3:14 am - UT
Hang in there it does get so much better. I said those exact words. You get stronger each day and life slowly gets back to normal.

jashley
on 8/10/13 5:12 am
DS on 12/19/12

You are at that point were you start to turn the corner and physically feel better a little bit each day.  Just hang on, you are almost through the worst of it.  And you will get a surge of energy from losing the weight.

Emotionally...  I knew that the first 2 months were going to be a roller coaster emotionally.  I lost 50 lbs in those months - 30 of it the first month.  When my body was burning all those fat cells, it was releasing tons of hormones, especially estrogen, back into my blood stream.  We also store environmental toxins in our fat cells - so all of that gets released suddenly, in large quantities. 

I knew this was happening, and it still was hard.  But I kept telling myself that the emotions were not real - just chemically induced by the weight loss.  As they say, don't make any major decisions this first year.  Just let it ride for 12 months.

I put more time into caring for my skin and hair, and made sure my vits were on target - this helped me refocus on productive things.  Keep setting things up for next week to make it easier to get through - and you will notice that it all starts to fall into place emotionally.

woodkd
on 8/10/13 5:24 am
DS on 06/19/13

I am 7 1/2 weeks out and am feeling so much better now.  At 3 weeks I was still kinda weepy and just "not myself."  We have all been through that stage, it will get better and you are going to feel so much better!!

ajrober2
on 8/15/13 12:46 am, edited 8/15/13 12:47 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12

You'll feel better soon!  3 weeks sucks for just about everyone.  LOL!  I think I started feeling more normal going in to my 2nd month.  Recovery is slow and gradual because your body has gone through a MAJOR change.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 593 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 966 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 327 views