Has anyone had their DS for over 10 years?

sunshine1968
on 8/15/13 4:11 am

I was just curious if anyone has had their DS for over 10 years as I would like to get a better picture of what the future will hold for me if I get the DS. I would love to know how you feel about the DS, any complications you might have had, any recommendations and your overall opinion of this surgery.  I have over 150lbs to lose, am a binge eater and have lost and gained back 100 lbs many times. Please share with me your story and how you feel about this sugery. Thanks so much!

Batwingsman
on 8/15/13 8:11 am - Garland, TX

I think several OHers have, if they still check this forum.  You should be able to find their member names on the DS "Lab Rat" chart, but I think OH took it down a long time ago.  Anyone know?  

I remember a few years ago someone posted an update story on the first DS patient, (of Dr. Hess?) who at the time was still alive and doing very well (and still normal weight) and in his 60s or maybe even his 70s. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

sunshine1968
on 8/19/13 12:52 pm
Hmmm... I would love to speak to that patient! How do I find her- if she's still around. Great to hear she. Was in her 70's! That's what I'm looking to hear.
PattyL
on 8/15/13 4:01 pm

Me for one but there are lots of us.

The DS is the only surgery I've seen with decent long term results for most people.  Some day there will be something better but it's not here yet.  I was in a group of 6 people working in the same office who had some kind of WLS.  I was the only DSer and I'm also the only one who didn't gain back all the weight.  That speaks volumes!

No complications or issues at all.  I've never even had a bad lab yet.  It's an easy postop life.  Just avoid carbs.  I am active and I have traveled a lot.  My only regret is that I didn't get it done years ago!  Well, I also wish I had held out for a shorter CC.  I am not extremely thin.  I just look like an average woman in my age group.  Now that doesn't mean I am happy with my weight.  I am always still dieting and trying to lose more!

The DS isn't perfect but it's honestly the only option available that really works long term!

sunshine1968
on 8/19/13 12:49 pm
Thanks soooo much for responding! I am curious as to who did your surgery and what size common channel and sleeve you have. My doc is doing a 100 cm common channel and a 5oz sleeve. He said its better to do a bigger sleeve so that if there is a problem you can see it easier and if you need to repair the sleeve there is room left to do so. He does 100 common channel on all his patients.

Your success does speak volumes! I wish I could just be normal size and without high blood pressure and no longer pre-diabetic. Many folks who have had the RNY gain their weight back as does the sleeve and RNY folks. It would be so easy for me to pick DS bcz of the long term success rates but when I read some of the boards and DS folks are developing anemia and needing iron transfusions or developing osteoporosis I get scared. Perhaps your longer common channel has prevented you from y deficiencies which could be dangerous.

What happens if you eat carbs? Do you pretty much have to quit all carbs or can you have carbs here and there? Is there a particular vit regimen you are on? What enabled you to take the leap and get the DS? Sorry to ask so many questions its just that DS has everything I need to succeed; however, some of the risks scare me and I'm trying to get over my fears by asking a lot of questions.

Thanks so much for your input...

MCG

Batwingsman
on 8/15/13 4:03 pm - Garland, TX

I just noticed this member posted earlier.   Unless her d.o.s. is a typo, it looks like she is 12 years out ..   DawnaJoy  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1214 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 504 views