What should my labs be? Anyone have RLS?

rosegirlds
on 8/15/13 8:58 am - IL

Hi Everyone!

I am wondering if anyone has a chart at what a DS'er should shoot for?  I know a lot of the lab results come back in the normal range but we need to be higher.  

I am almost a month out and I called the NP from my surgeons office complaining of a restless leg syndrome issue at night.  I asked if I can have my labs drawn to see if I am low and she said they don't start labs until 3 months post op.  Does this sound right?

Thanks.
Rebecca

hollykim
on 8/15/13 9:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Yes sounds right to me. I have restless leg syndrome and take sinemet for it at bedtime. You might try supplementing magnesium now as that often helps with cramps/rls.
Gl

Herman
on 8/15/13 10:02 am

RLS can also be from low iron, or low potassium (plus a few other medical problems). But until you can get your labs the magnesium citrate at a 2:1 ratio with the calcium citrate may just help you, and it won't hurt you, because you should be taking magnesium with the calcium anyway..

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
fullhousemom
on 8/15/13 11:47 am

I had restless leg syndrome for a while at about four months out.  I talked to my hema about it and he didnt think it was attributable to low iron.  I was not on the full Vitalady regime yet, so I will never know if it was a deficiency or not.  It lasted on and off for about a month.  I did start eating a banana (to the best of my ability) once in a while or a baked potato.  At about eight months I started the full Vitalady regime.  Other than that one month, I haven't had a problem.

I think, no, I KNOW I lost a lot of muscle during that rapid weightloss period.  My term RLS, is a self diagnosed term.  I think my muscles were just going wacko.

it was an absolutely horrible thing though.  I never felt anything like it before.  I hope you get relief soon.

J G.
on 8/15/13 2:53 pm

Hi Rebecca!  mag citrate has helped when I had foot cramps and if my legs get a heavy tired feeling I know I'm not getting enough potassium.   Before my DS, if I got an actual charley horse in my leg, I knew I needed calcium  (after DS  I take a ton of calcium, lol.)  For that creepy, crawling, pulling feeling of RLS,  a heating pad will help.  -Jenny  :o)

southernlady5464
on 8/15/13 10:28 pm

RLS can be caused by low vitamins...it can ALSO be JUST a neurological disorder than has NOTHING to do with your DS. It also can be a side effect of varicose veins. Once you get your labs, make sure you explore all the possible reasons for this disorder.

I had RLS pre-op and post op...mine was primarily a result of varicose veins. Once I had those taken care of last spring, I was able to come off my Mirapex. I still get occasional twinges and I know at some point, it will probably come back and I will need meds again but for now, it's pretty much gone.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

DawnaJoy
on 8/21/13 12:16 am - Chino Hills, CA

I have RLS, and it has peaked post-surgery every time.  Something about (any) surgery seems to bring on a "flare".  However, farther out postop, a flare can be attributable to low iron.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 621 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 982 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 332 views