Vitamin D results are in

Sumundo311
on 8/29/13 8:40 am - Saskatoon, Canada

My vitamin D results are in I am taking 4000mg in Canada, amounts are different then the states. Anyway my dr calls me and says your vit d is low, I ask what was it before, he doesn't have my file in front of him so I dig out my paper work. I was at 10.3, 6 months ago and today I was 49. he wants me over 80 but I am so happy it is coming up, he asked me how much I was taking and said to increase it but he is scared for me, I asked if he wanted to do an injection and he didn't know. I see him on Tuesday for my physical and we can chat about it then. Anyway I am doing a short little happy dance. I know I need more but how much can I increase it? I was thinking 6000 instead of the 4000mg.   Any ideas?

Susan

MajorMom
on 8/29/13 8:57 am - VA

In the US many if not most DSrs are taking 50,000 IUs of dry D3. I don't know how to convert the IUs to mg. If you're taking dry D3 you could easily double what you're taking and then start cutting back if your labs go up more than you want. Dry D3 isn't going to hurt and isn't as dangerous as oil based D2.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sumundo311
on 8/29/13 9:22 am - Saskatoon, Canada

Ok My vitamin D reads D3 which is good and it says it is 1000 IU so maybe it is the same. I will chat with my dr on Tuesday, but increase it, I just talked to my pharmacist and she said I should have been taking 50,000 a week. But since I am halfway to where I am suppose to be to increase it and she is going to fax my dr some paperwork that says to increase it to. So I don't know if I am right about this but I do now I need more Vit D.

Susan

MajorMom
on 8/29/13 9:52 am - VA

Is what you're taking a dry capsule or a squishy football shaped gel cap? Most pharmacies here only carry the oil based. That's why you see many of us ordering from Vitalady rather than taking prescribed D.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 8/29/13 10:27 am, edited 8/29/13 10:28 am

50,000 IU wekkly is the treatment for Vit. D deficiency, but the once-weekly dosing is for those who have normal absorption.  DSer's are malabsorptive for life.  I take 50,000 IU Dry D3 *daily* as I'm fighting a D3 deficiency myself.

Vitalady has it, or you may be able to find the Bio-Tech version on eBay.  Mine comes from a source based in Canada. I used the Vitalady supplement regimen for Dser's when I was immediately out of surgery, but i found less expensive sources for the same vitamins.  I do still cherry-pick from Vitalady when/if I can't find a source for what I need that's less expensive.  I go by my labs to determine whether is it working or not.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sumundo311
on 8/29/13 10:47 am - Saskatoon, Canada

Mine is a dry pill, not a capsule. I do see the error of my ways. I will remedy is hopeful with my dr by next week. Thanks for your help

Susan

yorkieGal
on 9/1/13 8:46 pm - Clermont, FL

I have a very short channel at 65cm and at 5 years out I struggle with Low D. I now take Vit D 50,000 twice a day (Vita lady) and I hope at my next labs it has come up.Yorkie

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 679 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views