Contemplating the second stage of the DS..help!

bhern
on 9/4/13 4:20 pm
DS on 01/21/14

It's been awhile since I've posted anything in the DS forum but it's because I've been hanging out on the VSG forum for the last 10 months or so. Just a quick history lesson: I made an educated decision to have the DS because I was a 400+ lb. SMO woman and knew that this was the only surgery that would allow me to achieve my weight loss goals. Last November I was prepared to come out of surgery and start living the DS life, instead I came out and had to start learning about the VSG, which I knew nothing about other than it was a restrictive only procedure. Post-op I was told my DS would be in 2 phases, so for now, I had the sleeve. Part 2 would come after I had lost 100 pounds or after a year, whichever came first. So fast-forward 10 months. I've lost 120 pounds and presently I weigh 238 pounds. I still have a long way to go. Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go ahead with the second part of the DS or continue my journey without it. My friends and family are telling me how great I look and that I don't need to have another surgery. They don't understand that 238 lbs is still considered morbidly obese. All my co-morbidities are not gone and I realize they may never go away. However,  I'm worried that I will not reach my goals with the sleeve alone. I already see that my weight loss is slowing down. I bounce back and forth with the same 2 pounds for weeks, even though I'm sticking to my plan. Less than 800 calories, low carbs, drinking 100 oz of water and 80+ grams of protein every day. I work out 4-5 times a week too. So, I guess I'm just asking for some sound advice. Should I stay the course I'm on and hope that I can lose the last 100 pounds (I would like to be at 145-150 lbs) or should I go for the second stage of the DS. Sorry this was long, I've had all this going through my mind and I know you guys are a great "sounding" board.

Goodnight!!

HW 407 * SW 359 * TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS-TO-DATE.... 

MajorMom
on 9/4/13 7:46 pm - VA

I think you're smart to be leaning towards the DS to help with the last 100 pounds and the long term assistance with maintenance. We see a lot of folks coming around that made it to goal or close but need the malabsorption help them keep the weight off long term. Now, they are looking at the DS and feeling like failures when it was the surgery that failed them not their own doing.

Good luck with your decision. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dustycroy
on 9/5/13 1:00 am
DS on 05/14/13

Even though Im a newbie and only four months out, I agree with Gina.  I noticed you put how many calories you take in a day, and right away, I was thinking, "Im glad I dont have to worry about that".  I just mean that the way you are living now is so restrictive, and diet like.  Dont get me wrong, as Im sure you have studied the DS surgery also, and you know there are limitations, but I like not having to watch my fat, and calorie intake, and living more normal, and of course you reap the benefits of the malabsorbsion.  I myself loose in a stair step  sort of a way.  I dont loose for two and a half weeks or so then I drop ten pounds, then it starts all over again....  I love it.  I do still suppliment with EXSPENSIVE protien drinks.  If there is one downfall to this surgery it is the expense.  GoodLuck making your choice.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

bhern
on 9/5/13 1:46 am
DS on 01/21/14

You talk about not having to watch calories and fat etc. and that was one of the things I loved most about the DS. Thanks and congrats on your loss so far!

larra
on 9/5/13 1:35 am - bay area, CA

You have done remarkably well with your VSG, but you can't live on just 800 calories/day forever. This just isn't sustainable. So not only are you not where you want to be, it is probably just a matter of time before regain starts. And there are also your comorbidities to consider.

Of course your friends and family are happy for you and glad to see you so much thinner. Who can blame them? But they don't understand the realities of morbid obesity and the limitations of a purely restrictive operation in terms of both overall weight loss and, of greater importance, maintenance of that weight loss. You do.

The longer you wait for the "switch" portion of your DS, the less opportunity you have for the restriction and the malabsorption to work together for you. You've already lost more than enough weight to "quality" for the rest of your planned surgery. Please don't let well meaning but uninformed people make this decision for you.

Larra

bhern
on 9/5/13 1:45 am
DS on 01/21/14

Larra, This is exactly what I'm thinking. I've heard that my honeymoon phase is pretty much over.  We lose the most within the first 6 months to a year. I don't want to DIET forever. Yes, I've learned new eating habits and those will stay with me always. I love my new healthier way of eating and I've adapted well to it.  I know I have to do what I feel is right for me and I really think I need to be switched soon. I know my family and friends are well intentioned, but like you said they don't understand the realities of being morbidly obese.  Thanks for your insight!

bonniecontreras
on 9/5/13 2:47 am - Norwalk, CA
im new to the ds blog... im a sleever... but lost all the weight at six months and that was it... my highest weight was at 220... lowest was 160... 2 1/2 years later i gained it back... im at 205 now.... and feel discusted.... the crazy thing is im gaining like 3 pounds a week... its horrifiyng.... anyhow... im gonna self pay my surgery... i was hopeing to finance it... since i self paid the first time.... i dont want to go broke... anyhow... i would totally have the ds if i was you... only you know your self.. but the sleeve is dieting... it sucks... i complety change my diet.... no fast food or sweets or none of that... and the weight is creaping up..... i get alot of negative feed back on my decicion but i put all that aside and focus on what i want.... good luck
larra
on 9/5/13 9:24 am - bay area, CA

Bonnie, I'm sorry the sleeve didn't work out for you, and hopeful that the DS will be the answer. Have you consulted with a DS surgeon yet? You have the great good fortune to live near Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale, who is one of the best available. He has seen many people revising from prior bariatric surgeries that either didn't work as well as needed or that required revision due to complications. I'm sure he can help you.

Larra

PattyL
on 9/5/13 1:59 am, edited 9/5/13 2:00 am

If I was in your place, I would go for the DS.  The further out you are, the harder your loss will be to maintain and as you and others have said, it's really hard to live on 800 cal per day...  Forever!

It's a shame you didn't have the whole thing done at once.  Now you have to fight for the 2nd part and go through surgery again.

Zee Starrlite
on 9/5/13 2:24 am

It's time to finish what you've started hun!

All Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views