Recipe Check..lol!!!

Layleigh
on 9/24/13 5:53 am - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

Hey y'all..this looks really good to me! I know you pro's have the best insight, please let me know if this sound like "good eats" for a DS'r!!! 

Chicken Tortilla Crockpot Soup

1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

Directions

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

RNY to DS revision 9-10-13 Dr. Ara Keshishian   

Member Services
on 9/24/13 6:56 am - Irvine, CA

fullhousemom
on 9/24/13 6:59 am

The recipe sounds delicious, but......

A new DSer would do well to eat the chicken and avoid the rest, if you can handle chicken early out.  I am almost two years out, and LOVE soup, but it just isnt a high protein food.  When I eat soup for a meal, I make sure to eat meat at the other meal, or add a protein bar to get my protein in.  

Soup is very filling due to the broth, and this is a little high in carbs with the corn and tortillas.  If you are early out from your surgery,   I wouldn't eat it.  You will be able to enjoy it someday, so don't lose the recipe!

Irishnurse
on 9/24/13 8:20 am
DS on 04/17/13

I would eat it. I would limit myself on the corn tortillas though. One corn tortilla is only 12g of carbs so that is not really bad. The rest is just fine. I could munch on this for a few days. Good recipe. Thanks for sharing. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 9/24/13 1:47 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Wow.  You just had your surgery 13 days ago.  Are you allowed to even eat this stuff yet?

When I was a newbie, I was on a liquid diet for about 2 weeks, then soft food, then the next step.  I can't imagine trying to eat this so early.

But if you have a craving, I understand.  I ordered a hamburger one week out - I just wanted it so bad.  I ate 2 bites of the patty only.  It about killed me.

Layleigh
on 9/24/13 1:53 pm - CA
Revision on 09/10/13

Idk Jas..probably not all of it just yet, but I like planning ahead and having something I can look forward to, and that my family can eat with me.

I'm on soft foods, but cleared to slowly try some things. I have to go slow and listen to my body..trust me, I'm scared enuf to be cautious..lol!

RNY to DS revision 9-10-13 Dr. Ara Keshishian   

PattyL
on 9/27/13 5:39 am

Here's some perspective for you.  1lb of chicken breast meat has 112 gr of protein.  So if you made this and ate the whole thing over a day you would be just about perfect, protein wise.  But because of all the other stuff in the soup plus the broth, it's not likely you could eat the whole thing because you have limited space.  BTW, the recipe sounds great.  I might make this more DS friendly by doubling the amount of chicken.  You can add more protein to almost any recipe.  Then you would only have to eat 1/2 of it to meet your protein requirements.  And I would skip the tortillas.

No big deal about not getting in that much protein right now.  I'm talking about meeting your needs down the road.

ladybug513
on 9/27/13 9:32 am - NY

Be careful.  It's so important to follow post-op instructions re eating.  I'd save this for a few months out.

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 736 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1036 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views