Giving back the hope

rosegirlds
on 11/13/13 11:58 am - IL

Hello Everyone.

I am almost four months out from my DS surgery.  These last 100 + days have been a crazy, hard, and amazing ride.  I am writing this post to the new comers, fresh surgery patients, and people feeling horrible because I was one of you not long ago.  

Here is my short, sweet story.

Pre surgical weight 344lbs.

DS and gall bladder removal Laproscopically on 7/22/13

I suffer from depression that has been well controlled by effexor pre surgery.  These meds weren't adjusted when I had my DS.  within two weeks of being post op I went into a MAJOR depression.  I was completely dehydrated, in pain, pooping constantly and crying the WHOLE DAY.  I felt like I made the worst decision in my life.  My doctor tried to adjust my depression meds, but that stuff takes a while to build up in your system.  After having my DS, I didn't absorb the meds the same.  It was like I quit taking them.  This, (I now know) causes a dangerous depression bout.  I wasn't at the point of wanting to hurt myself, but I couldn't take care of myself.  I wasn't eating, drinking, bathing, etc.  I was admitted to a psych ward for 5 days to get my meds under control.  This was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  But I knew it was what I needed.  I fought through my stay, and started to heal.  By the time I was released my meds were straightened out and I was feeling less hopeless.  Nonetheless, I was still exhausted.  I was sleeping ten hours a day and wishing for more.  My husband was so confused.  I had this surgery to lose weight and be able to do more around the house, with him, and our kids.  And even though I was losing, I was tired!

This exhaustion started to dissipate recently.  I find myself doing things I never did before... bringing in the grocery by myself, playing tag with my baby boys, running around helping my family move.  I feel pretty damn good now.  I have lost 70 ilbs in less than four months and can't believe how happy I am.  I am so glad I made my way through this.  I don't think I was ready for all of the rough roads that you have to go through after the surgery (maybe more so for me), but I am not sure you can be.  It is kind of like trying to explain to someone what it is like to have a baby, or lose someone you love.  You just have to go through it.

Thank you to all of you who helped me find my way.  You all told me to update the forum so people can learn from my experience.  I am here to do so.  

So here is my advice to you and answers to your questions:

this is a really hard and serious surgery.  It doesn't just involve a small snip and a stitch here and there.  You are choosing to change the way your body processes fuel.  you will go through a bit of shock.  You will be in pain.  you will be exhausted and feel like you won't ever eat again.  The poop will be bad at first, but then it totally slows down for most.  You will have to spend more time taking care of yourself and making healthy choices.  You will start to lose weight and feel amazing.  You will be thankful for this choice.  It takes months to recover.  Not just from the surgery, but from being so obese for so long.  That is a huge adjustment for your body, mind and self to go through.  Be proud of yourself.  you made a hard and brave decision.

OK, I am done.  Sorry for rambling.  Just felt inspired.

Happy Fall Everyone!

Becca

S Andrews
on 11/13/13 3:31 pm - eatonville, WA

Thank you Becca for sharing your story. I appreciate your honesty and bravery in sharing the difficult things that we don't think about. It took a lot of courage to share

your experiences. You have done awesome with your weighloss. I had a very uneventful recovery other than the pain everyone experiences. I am almost 8

months out and am still discovering myself- what absorbs to quick or too slow, how to accept my new body,trying to go clothes shopping in a new part

of the store,  thinking I still wear a 3x because I still feel fat,  what triggers gas attacks and diahrea,-etc. Mine are simple things compared to yours but still 

things we wouldn't normally think about until having this surgery. I am so grateful to be able to play with my grandchildren, keep up with my husband and do all the things I couldn't

do before. I still have a ways to go but I am more than half way to my goal and so grateful for a second chance!

Again, thanks for sharing.

Sharon

fullhousemom
on 11/13/13 8:28 pm
Thanks for sharing your story. I don't suffer from depression, but there have been so many posts, so many questions about depession and the DS. It seems that there is no true consensus or resolution, yet. But when someone provides their own personal story, I believe it gives hope to others and adds information to that DS/depression base of knowledge.

I am sorry you suffered, but thankful you took the time to post. Enjoy your life. It will keep getting better!
fullhousemom
on 11/13/13 8:52 pm
I just hopped over to the proboards forum and found a current thread about DS and anti-depressants. It sounds like effexor is a pretty powerful drug. There seems to be a wide range of strong feelings on this drug. If you find that you continue to have issues with depression and/or your medication, be sure to do a search on this forum and gather information. Also, check out the other site. Don't suffer alone. There are lots of DSers who have gone through what you are going through, and would be elated to help you.
Irishnurse
on 11/13/13 10:32 pm
DS on 04/17/13

A very inspiring story. Just goes to show...there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Glad you stuck through it and did not give up. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

mustlovepoodles
on 11/14/13 9:46 am
VSG on 12/31/13

This is both inspiring and frightening. I have bipolar disorder, well controlled on 4 meds for the past 4 years. I've had a few med tweaks over the years, but nothing serious since my hospitalization in 2009. I am really concerned that the bipolar might destabilize.  I do have a psychiatrist who's on-board and a new psychologist that I'm working with currently, so I feel like I'm doing what I need to do.

I thank you for your frank description of the medical recovery. I must say, I'm a bit concerned about this too. I'm hoping that I bounce back quickly because I don't have a ton of sick leave. The pooping doens't bother me too much. I have IBS, so frequent soft-to-runny stools are normal for me. I hoping I can manage the protein requirements and all the vitamins, but I'm in it to win it so I'll do whatever they require of me.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

rosegirlds
on 11/14/13 11:14 am - IL

I hope you have a worry free recovery.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who is affected.  For me, my meds were extended release.  They would absorb slowly throughout the whole day.  Once my DS was complete and I was mal-absorbing, that no longer worked.  I think that I would have been better off if I realized this was a potential issue.  I had no idea.  I was so worried I was getting worse.  I would just have a plan discussed with my MD and my family.  Ask for frequent "check ins' with your loved ones that are around you the most and ask them how you seem to be doing.  If you notice an issue, get a hold of your doc.

Also, I want to clarify that I am a normal pooper now (2x's a day and normal in everyway).

Thanks for replying.

mustlovepoodles
on 11/14/13 11:26 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Oh, good. I'm taking all regular meds, no extended release. My psych has already decided to see me about every 4-6 weeks after surgery. I have a hard time recognizing my symptoms, especially when I'm getting manic. But I made deals with my sister and my DH several years ago that if they see me getting wonky, they will tell me and I will listen to them even if I don't believe them. I will call my psych and tell her what my family is saying and she will help me decide what needs to be done. This has worked well for me in the past and I expect it will work after the DS.

Glad to hear the poop cleared up. Twice a day I can live with. I'm going 3-4 times a day now, so that would be an improvement.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 612 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 975 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 331 views