Help get my B**t in gear

rosegirlds
on 11/17/13 8:08 am - IL

OK everyone.  I need help.  I am almost four months out, feel better, can eat and drink and workout.  However, I am feeling a bit lost.  Can you guys help me again?  I need 100 grams of protien, less than 50 of carbs (i can subtract fiber and sugar alcohol from my carbs, right?), and tons of water, correct?  What about veggies and fruits?  Do I need to make sure I get a certain amount in?

Someone help me push the reset button please.

Thanks.

southernlady5464
on 11/17/13 8:19 am

Veggies...AFTER protein.

Fruit...wait til you are further out.

BOTH fruit and veggies count as carbs.

Be very careful of sugar alcohols.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

rosegirlds
on 11/17/13 8:30 am - IL

So I don't subtract the sugar alcohol from the carbs?  Just avoid sugar alcohols all together?

southernlady5464
on 11/17/13 8:35 am

IF you do have sugar alcohols, you can subtract them.

The 50 grams is based on net carbs which subtracts the fiber and sugar alcohols...but I count ALL carbs as both fiber and sugar alcohols affected my blood sugars and it was just easier to count all of them for me.

Some of us can't handle sugar alcohols at all. Some can handle different amounts. Personally, I can handle ONLY about 4-6 grams of sugar alcohols a day. Just easier for me to not bother.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

PattyL
on 11/17/13 8:58 am

You don't need carbs.  Cut out as many as possible.  Every carb you don't eat is a small victory.  Eat meat, eggs, fish, and cheese.  Read about Atkins induction diet.  If you can get yourself into ketosis, great!

Lose the weight and worry about carbs after you reach your goal.  And your goal -10% is even better to make up for bounceback.

Nancy T.
on 11/18/13 12:07 am
DS on 07/16/13

Can someone give the equation of figuring out carbs, fiber, sugar alcohols, all that stuff, to come to what the actual carb count is, please?

D. Switcher
on 11/18/13 11:39 am

Were you not educated by Dr Alverdy's staff?

JazzyOne9254
on 11/18/13 1:13 pm, edited 11/18/13 1:52 pm

Me and sugar alcohols don't get along..unless I'm feeling a bit  "plugged up".

Learn to read labels when you grocery shop.  Look for protein grams first.  My personal rule - less than 7 grams is junk food. Look for carbs and sugars next.  If the carbs and sugars outweigh the protein...back on the shelf.  A treat now and then is OK....but for your first couple of years...or until you reach goal...focus on protein and limit complex carbs. Whole grains, beans, cereals are a few that come to mind. You will get some carbs from the milk you use in your shakes...and not skim milk, either.  I learned the hard way (look at Nutrition Facts on milk cartons)  the lower the fat content, the higher the sugar content.  Laxative and excess gas effect.  That said, don't be quick to let go completely of your shakes.  I ended up with moderate PCM  (protein calorie malnutrition) that way.  At nearly five years out, I still drink a shake or two as insurance than I'm getting my 90-100 grams of protein in.

7 grams is really cutting it close in terms of junk food quotient.. because you're only absorbing about 50-60% of that. It just depends on where the protein grams are coming from.  Animal protein is more bioavailable than vegetable protein...and I specifically asked about that as a pre-op...because I was using meat substitutes, ala Morningstar Farms, Quorn and other vegetarian "meat" choices.  

I was told point blank - by the surgeon herself, that would not cut it, and if I really needed to get protein that way, I should not be looking at the DS.

I reverted to carnivore status immediately.  And yes, fish and shellfish count as animal protein.   In fact, one serving of sea scallops packs a whole 23 grams of protein per serving!   I personally can't eat $ea $callops everyday until I hit Lotto, but I incorporate them into other high protein, high fat foods...like quiche!  The pie shell crust is ready-made 100% whole wheat (check your local Whole Foods or other health food store that might carry them). The teeny tiny bay scallops have a good amount of protein per serving, and can be found relatively cheaply, and used to make high protein dishes.

If I *really* feel like cooking, I make my own crust from whole wheat flour and shortening or lard. At *least* 6 eggs, half and half and heavy cream,shredded *real* cheese,  *not* the pasteurized process wrapped-in- plastic stuff, whatever seasonings and or seasoning veggies you like (green onions, green peppers, garlic powder, some even like a Tex-Mex flavor with chili powder and/or hot peppers!) meat, fish -salmon makes a good quiche, and these days it's not that expensive, especially from Wally World! or seafood, spinach...did I mention eggs? and let's not forget BACON...key ingredient for Quiche Lorraine...which also happens to be my middle name!  You can just about put anything you want in quiche, and recipes are all over the place!

For normies...the above mentioned ingredients are murder on cholesterol levels if eaten regularly... and is a dish begging for a heart attack...but...for DSers...HEALTH FOOD!

PS- Right now, I am in maintenance mode in preparation for skin removal surgery...no date yet but sometime between now and January 30th - insurance approved!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 621 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 982 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 332 views