Post-op DS, how much fluid were you able to get in early on?

sunshine1968
on 12/6/13 9:56 am, edited 12/6/13 9:59 am

I'm post op about 7 days. I am now able to get in 8 oz of clear liquids in 30 mins. This seems like a lot tome. Was anyone else able to get as much in early on?  I'm just speaking of clear liquids as protein definitely takes longer to get in.  Could my sleeve be too large?  

I was initially only able to get in an ounce of clear liquids every 15 mins. 

paula K.
on 12/7/13 1:16 am - newnan, GA
DS on 12/04/13

I am 3 days post op and feel like 8 oz would be amazing :(  I can handle only sips.  My sleeve is 60CC so there's no way I could injest much more than that every half hour.  I am struggling with water - every sip that goes in I can feel in my chest. And I feel so full from all that gas too. I hope your recovery goes well!!

MS Warrior, Wife & Mom. Duodenal Switch Date 12/4/2013

Valerie G.
on 12/7/13 9:25 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your stomach is not too big and I'm glad you're taking this seriously to push yourself to get the fluids in.  Dehydration is no fun, and keeping hydrated post op is a LOT of work.  I never thought drinking water would be such a chore.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SWEETMEL7
on 12/7/13 11:47 pm, edited 12/7/13 11:47 pm - NY
I had surgrey this past tuesday so I can relate on how it is a chore to get as much liquids in.
b1751
on 12/8/13 2:29 am

Here's my take on the "is my sleeve too big" theories some people have.  There have been cases where a sleeve was just way too large, but that's usually not the case if you used a good surgeon.  Anytime I start having one of those "OMG! I can eat too much" moments I realize that no matter how much I can eat now, it's no where near what I could eat before.  This surgery is a tool, and restriction is one of those tools.  Big or small, you can work the size sleeve you have to your advantage.  And here's the other thing about it....there is NOTHING you can do about it right now.  No surgeon is going to resleeve you a week post-op.  So there is no sense in worrying about it right now.  Just keep drinking.  You'll probably find once you start eating solids that there isn't as much room in there as you thought.

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

ElijahsMama
on 12/10/13 8:17 am

Where is the like button? :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1211 views
Need help for my mom