How to eat - DS

Chris Mitchell
on 1/20/14 2:18 am

I am 4 months out from my DS, I have been doing good, but have slowed down. I was eating a low fat, low card and low cal (under 1500 a day) diet. at my 3 1/2 month post op my surgeon said I should up my cal intake to 1500-2000, and the break up should be 50% protein, 30% carb and 20% fat. Does that does that sound right? Thanks for any advice.

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinnero0

mhiggins
on 1/20/14 2:50 am

At 4 months I was told to eat protein first, and IF i had any room left I could eat some carbs.  Ive never counted fats or calories. Ive only ever counted protein to make sure i got enough everyday and carbs to make sure i wasnt eatting to many.  I lost 161lbs. 

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Chris Mitchell
on 1/20/14 3:08 am

How much protein and carbs a day?

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

MsBatt
on 1/20/14 3:17 am

I'm not familiar with your surgeon. How long has he been doing the DS?

His nutritional info is all wrong. While you're still trying to lose weight, you should eat as much protein and fat as you can hold, and as few carbs as humanly possible. At ten years out, I eat at least 3000 calories a day, although I never count them. I eat protein FIRST, and I strive for at least 125 grams a day. I don't count anything else, but if I don't eat enough fat---and I'm talking bacon, real butter, heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheeses, nuts, well-marbled meats, etc.---I have trouble with constipation. I NEVER eat any food that's been artificially made to be low- or no-fat. When they take the fat out, they replace it with CARBS. As a DSer, you will always malabsorb about 80% of the fat you eat, but you'll absorb 100% of the simple carbs, and about 60% of the complex carbs. EAT FAT.

mhiggins
on 1/20/14 3:35 am

I aim for 120g of protein a day and 50-70 carbs a day.  Take into consideration I am a female,  Men tend to need a bit more protein than females, you may want  to get 150g per day.  And maybe a few more carbs.  But being so early out, please focus on protein intake first.  Even at 3 years out Im protein focused and count carbs.  Im sure youve been to dsfacts.com and have got a lot of informative info on here before your surgery....?

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Valerie G.
on 1/20/14 3:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 8 years out, I make sure I get at least 64oz of fluids everyday and 100+g of protein.  I don't count carbs, fab, or calories.  I'm mindful to eat protein first, then some veggies, and save the last few bites for whatever I want.  Even though I don't count carb grams, I try to be mindful of how much I'm eating.  Consider fat to be a free food.  You need it for digestion.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mhiggins
on 1/20/14 3:51 am

well stated :)

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Chris Mitchell
on 1/20/14 4:11 am

thanks for the info. I am doing 150g+ protein and 70-90 carbs a day. Fat is the only thing I am scared of, doc and nut says low fat but fellow DSers seem to not count fat. So I am confused on where to go with that.

hollykim
on 1/20/14 4:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

sorry but I agree with your other posters about carbs and fat. Your nut is working off old outdated information and apparently nothing that works for DSers. 

Doctors have about 2 hours of nutritional classes in 7 years of school so he is going tobe useless to you too. The DSers on this site have LIVED it in real life  and have paved the way for newcomers. Avail yourself of their expertise. 

You can try it . Their way for a week or. Two and compare your success on their recommendations to the success you have had on your NUT plan.

it should become obvious soon enough what is going to work for you.

gl

mhiggins
on 1/20/14 4:33 am

Ive never ever counted fat and never will. I love fat, its my friend. Its a hard concept to underatand at first, but youll get it. At 3 years out I still say to my grandmother "What dont you get about my surgery?" because shes always "warning" me that I eat to much fat! lol :)

Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 497 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 914 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 305 views