Extremely Sensitive Tongue

Sunshine16
on 2/23/14 2:54 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am 3.8 years out, and I have noticed sometimes even black pepper can come off extremely HOT!! to me.  Do you know what could be the problem?  Is there a deficiency somewhere?  Has anyone had this change, plus a lot things what I could eat and drink, no longer have the desire.  My appetite has change a lot.

Let me know,

Thank you

Sunshine

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

MajorMom
on 2/23/14 5:39 pm - VA

Perhaps B vitamins or iron, but it seems those would be burning sensations all the time not taste sensitivity.  Here's the link I'm reading: http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSS/r.==/st.31848/t.35 193/pr.3.html

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Debbie P.
on 2/24/14 1:19 am - Kettering, OH

I had this problem too when my iron was extremely low.  I hadn't read that sensitivity to anything remotely spicy was a symptom, but after my infusions -- it is MUCH better!!  I couldn't even stand ketchup.  LOL 

Debbie ~

Sunshine16
on 2/26/14 1:47 am

Debbie, thanks your posting really helped and it trigger a reminder that I have always been anemic due to iron levels been low.  A year ago or two I was recommended Proferrin, but they are extremely costly.  Luckily now I can afford them and I do need to start taking my iron levels a little more serious.  All these vitamins can really be costly, but they are worth the expense.  I just put a huge order in with Vitalady, hopefully this will get me on track and I will check my levels in three months. 

Thank you again for paying attention to my posting.  I will get on the ball with taking my Vita/Supplements. 

By the way who gave you your infusion shot, is this something your surgical doctor did?

Sunshine

Debbie P.
on 2/26/14 3:44 am - Kettering, OH

I had to see a hematologist for my low iron levels.  I was already taking the iron supplements through Vitalady, but they did nothing for me.  My hematologist told me that I simply am one of the unlucky ones that no matter how many iron pills I take, it would not make a difference for me.  So I had a series of 5 IV iron infusions.  It is not a shot.  I get an IV and it takes 30-60 minutes for the iron to go in through IV.  I had to go once a week for 5 weeks.  I get a recheck in April and if still too low, will go for a few more infusions. 

Debbie ~

dustycroy
on 2/24/14 10:20 am, edited 2/24/14 3:14 pm
DS on 05/14/13
I had a bright red sore tongue and the corners of my mouth were on fire. I starved myself for over a year, got real skinny and drank sports drinks. That was in 97 and probably almost killed myself. No one can ever say I don't have any will power. I found this you might find interesting. I remember I loaded up on b vitamins and within two days it went away. Needless to say I got scared, between that and fainting, I decided I needed to start eating again, and live for my children. This was years before I had my DS.

Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency

A deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to vitamin B12 deficiency anemia. A mild deficiency may cause only mild, if any, symptoms. But as the anemia worsens it may causes symptoms such as:

weakness, tiredness or light-headedness

rapid heartbeat and breathing

pale skin

sore tongue

easy bruising or bleeding, including bleeding gums

stomach upset and weight loss

diarrhea or constipation

If the deficiency is not corrected, it can damage the nerve cells. If this happens, vitamin B12 deficiency effects may include:

tingling or numbness in fingers and toes

difficulty walking

mood changes or depression

memory loss, disorientation, and dementia

B12 deficiency in infants, if not detected and treated, can lead to severe and permanent damage to the nervous system. New mothers who follow a vegetarian diet should have their babies' B12 levels checked by a doctor.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Sunshine16
on 2/26/14 1:42 am

Thank you, I'm thinking now that its because I am anemic. Always have been, but my numbers have dropped since the procedure.  I just put an order in with Vitalady for Iron and Proferrin. The proferrin is extremely costly, but luckily now I can afford all this stuff.

Irishnurse
on 2/24/14 10:22 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I use to be a major spicy foods person but I have noticed my tolerance to it has changed since surgery. I think it is a taste thing. I dunno. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Sunshine16
on 2/26/14 1:40 am

How are your Iron levels.  One above the ladies wrote back and reminded. I always had low iron, so I just put a order into Vitalady.  The last time I saw my lab work they went down...who knows what they are not, and this is a sure sign.  I have heard people head  or hair feeling hot because their iron was low, but its my tongue.  Plus without caffeine I do feel sluggish, and with all these vitamin I should feel perky all the time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views