Another dead end.

jim1969
on 3/24/14 9:07 am - Lakewood, WI

I guess I can cross of the University of Chicago. They sent me an email saying they would not perform The DS on a patient with a BMI of 40 even with extreme sleep apnea. If I was in the upper 40's with extreme Diabetes they would consider it.
Anyone have Rupp or Kelly out of MN that had a lower BMI?

Tina_in_Minnesota
on 3/24/14 10:56 am

How frustrating this must be for you.  I wish all the luck in finding a surgeon.  

I had my DS 4 weeks ago today with Dr. Leslie in MN.  He works out of the University of MN (with amazing surgeons Dr. Buchwold and Dr. Ikramuddin), as well as the surgeons at the Abbott Northwestern Bariatric Center.  My BMI was just under 40 with co-morbidities.  I loved the staff at the Abbott Clinic, as well as my doctor.  I heard that the support staff at the U of M were not always friendly/helpful so I went with the Abbott Bariatric Center instead.  I am not sure if these surgeons are an option for you, but the U of M doctors are top notch.

Hopefully someone can provide you the information on the surgeons you requested.  I just thought I would share my experience with a MN surgeon as another option.  Again good luck.

~Tina

48 year old female. DS on Feb. 24, 2014 with Dr. Daniel Leslie at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, MN

HW: 198 | SW: 192| CW: 113| GW: 115

jim1969
on 3/24/14 11:06 am - Lakewood, WI

Thank you Tina! I did look up DR Buchwold and Dr Ikramuddin. I will check out DR Leslie also. I am open to any suggestions so Thank you again.

neededchange
on 3/24/14 12:18 pm

Try Dr James Kane, suburban surgical group.  He has offices in Hoffman estates and arlington heights, both suburbs of Chicago.  He did my ds on feb 4th.  

neededchange
on 3/24/14 12:21 pm

I also use cpap for sleep apnea.  He has you see other Dr there that will follow you throughout you hospital stay for the sleep apnea and other..  I was impressed with how he coordinated my care.  Good luck!

larra
on 3/24/14 2:00 pm - bay area, CA

Jim, I'm so sorry! At least they were honest with you. Try the guys in MN, esp Drs. Buchwald, Ikramuddin and Leslie. They have good reputations. As to what their criteria are, I don't know. If they don't work out, start looking further from home. It really is worth it.

Larra

endomorphious
on 3/25/14 11:32 am - KETCHIKAN, AK

check out Dr Marek Lutzykowski at oaklandbariatrics.com. He's a very competent surgeon with 25 years experience in bariatrics. He ONLY does open procedures however. He also tends to be more aggressive about how much intestine he bypasses. They worked very well with me to meet my insurance carriers requirments.

larra
on 3/25/14 2:10 pm - bay area, CA

And I forgot to mention Dr. Kenmeter in Michigan. I might not have his name spelled right. Great reputation. You can find the best list of DS surgeons at dsfacts.com, which would also have contact info (and correct spelling!)

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views