Introduction

HPmama
on 3/30/14 3:42 am
DS on 05/15/14

Hello everyone.

I am new here and this is my first post. I would to start by first thanking all of you because I have been reading your posts and learnt from your experience  a great deal.

I had a lapband put in and like a lot of people it did not work for me but I was making due with it, to the point that I accepted the vomiting and pain while eating, it had become a way of life and thought it came with the territory. The band never really helped me to lose in most part because I got pregnant a few months after putting it in. I am not complaining because it gave me what I was really after - fertility. I now have two wonderful kids, and I am ready to be healthy and be a part of their life and no longer a part of my couch's life. I want to teach them good habits and share every minute with them. In order for that to happen I need to escape this jail - my current body. Unfortunately as all of you know, it's not enough to wish the pounds off. it has been hard, add to that a job I hate and loosing weight is turning to be impossible.  This past Christmas, my brother who I had not seen in 3 years rang the alarm. He told me that I was out of control. as part of my rejuvenation, I decided to get a bypass but after reading the comments on OH and researching the DS, it is the right thing for me to do.

Through some hurdles with my insurance here (which left me with a $12K bill) I decided to go get the surgery in France.

I got my date this morning and as some of you say, I will join the dark side in may.

I would love to get some advice on my preparation pre-surgery, what I should do to prepare the early post-surgery stage. I also have some questions about energy post surgery and how quickly you could walk.

I appreciate anything you can share with me.

Thank you.

Be your own cheerleader!

beccahertel
on 3/30/14 4:19 am

Welcome! You are about to make the best decision of you life ;-) I, too, am a lapband-to-DS patient. Good luck with your journey! 

Huneypie
on 3/30/14 4:44 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I was able to walk the day after surgery... the day of surgery I had to pee in a bed pan as I was just too sleepy for much else.

I stayed in hospital 4 nights.  Re post op people's plans vary from surgeon to surgeon and many will have you on clear liquids only.  Check with your surgeon as to what you're permitted.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 3/30/14 5:10 am - VA

Welcome aboard!  : )

Start drinking protein shakes now, get your labs done so you can see what you need to do towards your vitamins before you get surgery and start malabsorbing everything. 

Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kdiva
on 3/30/14 7:03 am - Margate, FL

Which labs are recommended?  Do I ask my PCP? 

MajorMom
on 3/30/14 6:52 pm - VA

Most would be nutritional labs. Your surgeon should be having them tested. Might not hurt to ask.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

HPmama
on 3/30/14 7:51 am
DS on 05/15/14

Thank you for your response, warm welcome and advice. I am currently researching protein shake options and vitamins. I heard of a bari life multi vitamin powder but I am not done researching.

Be your own cheerleader!

jason1978
on 3/30/14 8:02 am
DS on 06/24/13

I was walking a day after surgery and discharged on day 2. Was in pain but back to work in 2 weeks. I work from home a lot -- FYI.

i was told not to fly for 6 weeks to prevent blood clots. I travel a lot for work -- hitting pause there was tough.

DS on 6/24/13

SW 351

GW 190

CW 171

PeteA
on 3/30/14 12:01 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Would that be Vive' la DS in french? Seriously - congrats on your decision. I was sorry  I didn't check my vit D levels pre-op and work on getting them up then instead of having t work a little harder post-op. I would also have your iron tested, although they will eventually do that anyway. 

I walked the second day after surgery. The Nurses were a little upset with me about it. Maybe I could have done the first day had they pushed me then. This is just household walking around the first couple of weeks. You will tire out pretty fast.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 983 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views