Choosing a Surgery?

more2adore
on 5/5/14 5:03 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

Hi all - 

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum. If I'm not, if you'd kindly just tell me where I need to post this that would be SO helpful. 

I've decided WLS is right for me at this point in my life, and I'm trying to decide which surgery would be best and doing all the research I can. I am approximately 550+ pounds (not entirely sure right now). I like the idea of a surgery that doesn't result in dumping, but does result in enough weight loss that it will be significant for me, which is why I'm currently leaning towards DS. I have to be honest, though - my  husband is sort of against the DS at this point because it (from what we've seen) carries more risks than some other surgeries. (He'd be happiest if I'd just do the lap band, but I don't think that's going to give me significant enough results at my size). It doesn't help that someone I know just had the DS and had really significant and scary complications. 

Is there such a thing as a comparison chart from an unbiased source that lists all the different surgeries, their risk factors for certain complications, and average weight lost, or something along those lines? I want to make sure I make the right choice for me. Thanks so much for any advice in advance!

larra
on 5/6/14 6:13 am - bay area, CA

Good for you for doing your research before jumping blindly into surgery!

I don't have exactly the chart you are asking for, but I can say that the medical literature clearly documents that the DS has the highest percentage excess weight loss, and, of at least equal importance, the best maintenance of that weight loss of any bariatric surgery presently available. Weight regain is a significant problem with gastric bypass - along with less weight loss to start with, dumping, inability to take NSAIDs safely for the rest of your life, etc. And lap band has the worst statistics of any bariatric surgery - less weight loss, highest reoperation rate. Your husband of course means well and wants you to be safe, but any operation that carries some risk and then doesn't work just isn't worth that risk.

There is a persistent misbelief that DS is higher risk than gastric bypass. This perception stems from the "old days" when DS was reserved for the heaviest and sickest patients. Of course such patients are going to have more complications than lighter, healthier patients, as a group. But when you compare patients of roughly equal bmi and health having either DS or gastric bypass, the complications rates are almost exactly the same, AND the DS patients lose more weight, AND the difference in weight loss becomes greater as time passes. If you want to read the study showing this for yourself, let me know.

Got comorbidities? The DS has the highest rate of resolution for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc. The only one where gastric bypass does better is GERD.

DS works great for the lightweights of the bariatric surgery world, but for someone with as much weight to lose as you are saying, the DS is your best choice hands down.

Larra

PHAT_at42
on 5/6/14 6:20 am
DS on 03/12/14

Yes... DSFacts.com.  I understand the fear and am so glad to see you doing research. My OPINION is that all of the surgeries is only as safe as the surgeon is skilled. I try to never influence a person's decision  about a particular surgery....but....at 550lbs I do not believe you can get what you need from the band. IMHO, you should strike that from your list to research! Good luck!

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

PeteA
on 5/6/14 11:16 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

No help on the chart. From the things I've read there aren't really significant statistical differences for complications from the surgery. It is a little 
longer and more extensive of a surgery. You just need to find someone you trust that has done it before. There could be complications from any
WLS surgery. I hope the person you know gets past the complications to the benefits. 

I started pre-op at 552 but was down to 464 by the surgery. The two things my surgeon told me that really convinced me to look hard at the 
DS were that I had a better chance of losing most of my excess weight and also a better chance at keeping it off.

I'm 1 year out and my life is much better. It doesn't fix everything but it gives me more opportunity to fix myself.

Good luck with your decision.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Melanie74
on 5/6/14 2:06 pm

I had the band at almost 400 lbs and it was a miserable experience. DONT DO IT. :)

for me - I chose DS for my second surgery because my surgeon walked thru the options with me and this gave me the greatest chance to succeed at maintaining the weight loss. But I will tell you I am only 4 months out and sometimes I still an unsure I did the right thing. There are challenges with having the DS.   Talk to an experienced surgeon and walk thru the options. If I had not done the DS I would have chosen the sleeve - I am hoping that down the road things start to even out for me and I can be happier with my decision. I know in my heart that I would have most likely struggles with regain if I only chose the sleeve. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 533 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 931 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 309 views