I'm 5'0 @ 247lbs. Approved VSG but Considering DS

LatinCurves35
on 5/27/14 7:48 pm

After researching some, Im a high carb eater. I dont like to eat alot of high fats but Love sugar.  I like the maintance rate that  the DS provides but I'm concerned that my body will lose too much weight.  Is there anyone my Height and start weight that has had DS done? If so what is your experience? 

Trish06
on 5/27/14 7:55 pm
DS on 12/06/12

Hi,

You might want to post this on the lightweight board. There are many that are below what you weigh that have had the DS done. I was below your weight at surgery and I'm 5'6". Keep reading and researching your on the right track. Good luck

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

Valerie G.
on 5/27/14 10:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Eating lots of carbs and sugars isn't going to get you success with any procedure, and if you dislike high fats, then the DS may not be the right procedure for you.   DSers malabsorb 80% of the fats we consume, so we must add more to ensure we get proper digestion, brain function, and our skin/nails/hair doesn't dry out. 

My best friend is 5'1" and startd around 250.  She lost down to the 110's, and regained some back, so no, she didn't lose too much for too long.  Many will lose to the point where they look to have lost too much, then settle into a weight more reasonable for their bodies.  Regain is expected to be 15-20% of ewl.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 5/28/14 9:40 am - bay area, CA

This does happen occasionally, but most of the time the weight loss stops at or near a safe weight, and there is often some "bounce back" in addition.

Your bmi is over 48. Even many docs who push the sleeve don't recommend it for a bmi over 45. Of course there is more to this than bmi - your comorbidities if any, your willingness to exercise, willingness and ability to stick to a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet for life with the sleeve...

The fact that the DS has the hghest percentage excess weight loss AND the best maintenance of that weight loss isn't by chance. The fact that it allows for the most normal meal and eating pattern, at least by our society's standards, is a big factor. While some people are successful with the sleeve, people who can't stick to that very restrictive diet and exercise regularly won't be successful. With the DS, there is also a committment involved, but it isn't as strict. We DO, however, need to commit to taking appropriate vitamins and mineral supplements and eating plenty of protein for life.

Keep in doing your research and make the choice that will work best for you for the long term.

Larra

MajorMom
on 5/28/14 6:48 pm - VA

I'm a lightweight DSr. Didn't lose too much and maintaining pretty darn well at 6 1/2 years post-op. Good luck with your research. Check out www.dsfacts.com.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 5/29/14 1:32 am

Here's the hard truth.  People who love sugar/carbs to the point that they won't give it up will have a very difficult time with any WLS.

Many have had the DS with similar stats and been successful.  But some have had to work hard to lose while for others it has been pretty effortless.

If diets worked for you, you wouldn't be here.  The sleeve is just restrictive but many if not most need restriction and malabsorbtion to be successful long term.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 784 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1066 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 352 views