Exercise after getting the DS

rhudson
on 6/18/14 10:53 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

Hello everyone, my husband and I are considering getting the DS rather than sleeve.  We met with our surgeon
Dr. Kane in IL this afternoon.  Beginning the process.

We are wondering what kinds of exercise and how much people are doing to lose weight after the surgery.

How many times a week, for how long, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Irishnurse
on 6/18/14 4:55 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I have hardly exercised at all. I do yoga from time to time or take a 15 min bike ride once in a great while but it has not taken any exercise to lose the weight with the DS. Later on it will though to keep healthy and help tighten up the skin. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

rhudson
on 6/18/14 11:06 pm - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

Thank you.  Still new to this procedure so trying to understand it better.

Sunshine16
on 6/18/14 9:55 pm

Sorry, you must get a clear understanding of this surgery, because most people do not do exercise because the malabsorption is extremely strong for most. However, I will always suggest trying to keep a good muscle tone along with drinking your protein shakes. Plus moderate exercise sounds and is good.

When I asked about exercise four years ago, I got a laughter.  I would suggest focusing on your diet, because the weight will fall/melt off, but the honey moon stage does not last forever.  There comes a point for some, that you think you are going to lose too much, don't worry, your body will stop...so focus on the protein to help with the weight loss.

The reason why I got this surgery, I felt if I was going to go under the table to ensure the results.  Four years later, I am happy....however, adjusting to my life style has been rought.   I learn I definitely need to follow Vitaminlady Regimen, there is no way gettting around that...I have learn, I definitely need to get my lab  work done, there I am able to gage what I need to increase and decrease.  The protein at first is extremely important, at this stage I eat my protein, and my levels are wonderful.  Besides vitalady regimen, get a awesome probiotic for your digestive system.

Hope this was useful,

Sunshine

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

rhudson
on 6/18/14 11:11 pm - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

Thank you Sunshine for the great information.  Up until we saw our surgeon yesterday my  husband and I felt the sleeve was our best option, but Dr. Kane suggested DS, I think mostly because of the amount of weight we need to lose.  It threw us for a loop since we hadn't really researched this procedure.  Now we're trying to do our due diligence to understand the differences of the sleeve vs DS to determine what option would be best for us.

At our weight it is a little difficult to exercise, especially for me, I have osteoarthritis in both knees.  Being able to lose without exercising at first would be helpful for me.

Thanks again.

Sunshine16
on 6/18/14 11:35 pm, edited 6/18/14 11:36 pm

I understand about the knees.  Four years out, but there are things I must forewarn, however since its you and your husband  you both can blow each other away.  The bathroom smell is no joke.  SOme people are regular that they only go in the morning, some people try different tricks, some people I guess this is not an issuse. However, it can be offensive.  The Vitamin, Supplement, and Protein is costly....and you will need to take these for the rest of your life.  I take about 30 vits/supplements a day.  

At the beginning your main concerns is H2O, and protein, the weight will just melt away.   You will be healthier, and you will look great!  I made this decision because I got sick of the constant yo yo diets...if Im going to do it...I wanted a better shot of keeping the weight off.  Ask as many questions from the VETs as you like, but do your research.  Here is a website that will help.

http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-explained.html

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

rhudson
on 6/19/14 12:13 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

This is all very important information to consider.  My husband and I will review the dsfacts website.  We still plenty of time before we meet again with the surgeon, so we'll be prepared to discuss sleeve vs DS by then.

Thanks so much, we both appreciate it.

Lyss Remaly
on 6/19/14 4:29 am - Wheeling, IL

I am in Illinois.  I am 4 years out from DS surgery, a personal trainer and 180 lbs down.  If you would ever like to meet for coffee to ask questions or go over the lifestyle PLEASE feel free to let me know and I am more than happy to give you all the dirty details :)

rhudson
on 6/19/14 5:21 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

Thank you, I may take you up on that.  We're not that far away from each other.

DEBRA M.
on 6/19/14 1:13 pm

Hello, I am only 6 months out from my DS. The only thing I've been very  disappointed in is the absolute socially unacceptable stench of my flatulence. It is not ordinary gas that disipates, but rather permenently changes the odor of my car or house. I am upto three Deveron tablets a day. Any pointers?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 421 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 865 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 277 views