Horrible stomach pain since revision to ERNY from DS...

Special_KLJ2
on 7/8/14 11:16 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I had a DS in 8/2010, lost 90lbs, regained 30 in one month and had lots of acid reflux.  In March 2014 I had a revision to ERNY and have had one issue after another with only about 25 lbs of weight loss: stomach leak that they thought was my pancreas (happened a month out of surgery and damn near killed me); then at almost 2 months out there was unknown fluid in my belly again and it went away on its own; since all of this I keep ending up in the hospital with all over gut pain.  It feels like there is something trying to exit my stomach, from under breast, past outside of ribs and clear down to pubic bone.  The pain comes on at various times and I have not found any symptoms to linik it to.  Sometimes it is hot and stabbing, other times it is intermittent, no rhyme or reason.  I have also had some severe rectal bleeding and one time a lot of lower back pain with these symptoms.  The doctors are starting to act like a pain pill addict (I only get pain meds while in hospital as I cannot take pills at home and function!  I have had upper & lower scopes with nothing found.  WBC is usually quite high or quite low.  Other labs seem ok. PLEASE, SOMEBODY HAVE SOME THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT COULD BE GOING ON!  I can't live like this!  My dotor is Gary Anthone from Omaha.

Karen L. Johnson    
Valerie G.
on 7/9/14 3:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That sucks and I have nothing to offer except to be a ***** if you have to in order to get to the bottom of things.  You may need to seek a second opinion.

I can't help but wonder why they revised your DS when you could have had the reflux treated with a Nissen Wrap procedure and kept the DS in place?  Does anyone have an opinion on that?  I know a couple of ERNY that didn't get the results of extended loss that they were promised, either

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 7/10/14 10:19 am - bay area, CA

I'm so sorry you are going through this!

Have you had a CT scan? Sometimes one test finds something that the other tests missed. Each test has its strengths and weaknesses. Bottom line, keep insisting on further work-up til someone gets to the bottom of this. Keep in mind also that when all else fails, surgery can be a diagnostic method as well, either laparoscopic (if technically possible, which it might not be) or even open surgery. That was more common in the past when we didn't have so many good non-surgical tests, but it's still sometimes necessary when all the tests have been done and no answer is found.

Larra

LosingSally
on 8/1/14 8:55 am

A Nissen Fundoplication usually needs the part of the stomach removed when a DS is preformed. The " wrap" is the potbellied part of the virgin stomach wrapped around the esophagus when it empties into the stomach. If you have a DS, this part of the stomach is gone and there isn't enough left of the long thin DS stomach to wrap.

This may be why your surgeon felt an ERNY would help. I would find some doctor to look further, because you shouldn't live with constant pain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 435 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 882 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 296 views