Low-acid?

Amy W.
on 7/14/14 10:43 am, edited 7/14/14 10:45 am - Buckeye, AZ
So... as a DSer... we now have low stomach acid, am I correct? We don't have sufficient stomach acid to break down fiberous veggies such as celery, and hard to digest stuff like bran?
This all sparked my interest when I started researching how to add fiber to my diet to bulk up my stool. I don't want to eat a lot of carbs, so I bought the fiber gummies. Someone on the Facebook DS group said we don't have enough stomach acid to digest them so I returned them. That got me thinking... if we have low stomach acid now, how can I eat fiber and such so I can bulk up my stool? I'm so lost. Help?!?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

MajorMom
on 7/14/14 6:56 pm - VA

Fiber hasn't worked for me either. Interesting.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Amy W.
on 7/15/14 1:06 am - Buckeye, AZ
How are your bowels habits??? A few weeks ago I had my second hemorrhoid surgery and I NEVER want to go through that horrific hell again... (I'm still healing, it takes over a month).
I've had diarrhea since 2004, until I figured out it's the gluten & dairy doing it to me! Now I want to bulk up my poop so I don't have diarrhea 10 times a day (which obviously causes hemms). I don't do gluten or dairy anymore but I still want to poop as little as possible. Just one bowel-full a morning! I read you need fiber for that, so I'm researching all about it. Buuuut since I'm a DSer it's making things challenging (since I think the fiber is just bloating me and messing up my stomach?). I don't know what to do. I'm at a loss!
HELP ME, PEOPLE!!! **crazy look on her face**

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

MajorMom
on 7/15/14 1:35 am - VA

More probiotics?  More calcium citrate? More iron?  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 7/15/14 2:10 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yep, I agree with Gina re more iron and more calcium.  I do 4,000 mg of calcium and have to take Miralax to help me go and I have the balance just right and only go once a day in the AM.  Before I was on this much calcium and iron I always lived 'the never trust a fart' saying (I never did as it wasn't an option as I was going many times a day too).

I did start getting hemmes around the time that I was getting awful cramps from gas and I ended up taking Flagyl.  I only took the Flagyl as the cramps were terrible.  It did however have the benefit of resolving my minor hemmes.  I got thrush lasting 2 months though but I'm still grateful for the Flagyl.

In the hope of preventing future bloating/poopy issues I now take a probiotic with 30 billion CFU (Colony Forming Bacteria).  I was only on 4 billion CFU when I got thrush.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Sunshine16
on 7/15/14 3:53 am

I agee, I am so glad I upped my probiotic...I take 25 billion CFU....really helped with the odor, YIPPY!  Was very concerned about that odor mess.  I'm regular now in that area. And much regular. 

If you stop eating REAL food a certain time of the day, that REALLY works.  Junk food is cool, but meat and stuff, rice and potatoes...after a certain time of the day....will have you running in the morning.  Just throws your hold cycle off.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Sunshine16
on 7/15/14 3:50 am

What has helped me tremendously is not eating real food after 5 or 6, junk is cool...but not a meal.  Plus I changed probiotics and got excellect results.  Smell is good, and system is on track, but that solid food helped with not going to the bathroom.  Plus certain grease used for fried chicken, NO SODA, nor Dairy.

Work with those advice and you should see results.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

PeteA
on 7/15/14 6:37 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've been doing Benefiber for about a month. 4 tsp a day. It helps but certainly hasn't given me
perfect BM's. Less watery than before.

Wouldn't you see the gummies in your stool if they are not broken down? I'm doing this after my first hemmie attack
and I don't want to get to the point where I need surgery. I added the fiber, sitz baths, and wet wipes to finish wiping
as preventative measures.

Valerie G.
on 7/16/14 11:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I firm up my stool with more calcium

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Irishnurse
on 7/18/14 12:58 am, edited 7/18/14 12:59 am
DS on 04/17/13

I have tons of acid. I have to take a PPI sometimes two daily. The gummies did not digest for me but the powder does just fine. I mix two teaspoons twice a day in my protein drinks. It had helped greatly. I also increased my iron and calcium which also has improved my bowels. If I eat clean I have normal formed stools now but they are always backed by a small amount of runny after each stool which still causes my burning issues since they are bile salts poo. So I still have to use an enema after each movement in the morning to clean the acid out. However, having formed stools has really improved my situation. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 426 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 870 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 285 views