Regained weight

Nancy T.
on 7/24/14 2:31 am
DS on 07/16/13

I am just one year out since my surgery and have about 20 lb more to go to my goal.  I will still be considered overweight, but not obese.  I can live with that - it's what I weighed when I got married.  However my question is about regained weight down the road a few years.  I was just reading the forum for one of the other weight loss surgeries and several of the people were frustrated because they had gained anywhere from 20-50 (or even more) lbs since their surgeries years ago.  What is the potential for regaining after the DS?  I completely understand anyone can eat poorly and gain.  But as DSers, are our chances better that we won't, or am I just deluding myself that that risk isn't as high for this us?

Nancy T.
on 7/24/14 3:15 am
DS on 07/16/13

I think my question was already answered.  I hadn't read the post someone had written about revisions and possibility of gaining.  There were some responses and that answers my question.  Next time I need to read other posts before asking my questions!

MajorMom
on 7/24/14 7:09 am, edited 7/24/14 6:34 pm - VA

I've read several times where DSrs have a much better chance at maintaining or weight loss within a few pounds. Of course it takes a little work on our parts too. I still try to keep a lid on the carbs.  Carbs are evil!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 7/24/14 7:32 am, edited 7/24/14 7:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The expectation for DSers, I believe is 15-20% regain of ewl on average.  I regained 20lbs from my lowest - got boobs back with it, so no complaints and I never busted my ass to try to lose it back or anything.  I just don't mind it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nancy T.
on 7/24/14 8:54 am
DS on 07/16/13

Is quinoa permitted?  It's promoted as a super food, do all the vitamins, protein and good stuff outweigh the carbs?

rargirl
on 7/25/14 1:43 am

Hi, Nancy. 

I thought I would share my experience which is not typical but could give you some hope. 

I had DS surgery February 2011. I started at 375 lbs. Like you, I had a goal weight which would have left me slightly overweight (180). I reached that goal at around 1.5 years then slowly over the next year, I lost an additional 15 lbs. 

I have maintained 160-165 for around two years now with no effort. At times (stressed out/too busy to eat) I have lost an additional 5-10 lbs very quickly. When I have been as low as 155 people have commented I look too thin. (You could see my ribs through my chest which some don't like). 

If I felt like losing 5 lbs I could go on a low carb kick and avoid all bread/wheat/oats for a few weeks. 

I really eat whatever I want but mostly meat/veggies/fruit. Don't get me wrong - I frequently eat dessert - ice cream or cheese cake, extra salad dressing and drench everything in butter. My cholesterol is crazy low. My body seems to thrive on fat. 

I have have not regained a single unwanted pound and the only side effect I have at the moment is killer gas if I eat a bunch of wheat or processed food.

for example, yesterday I ate terribly:

breakfast - 2 smoked sausages scrambled eggs topped w/cheese and a crepe. 

Lunch - Arby's roast beef and Swiss sandwich on a Hawaiian roll (should not have eaten the bread)

Dinner - 3 pieces of theme park pepperoni pizza - I ate way too much of the crust. 

Snack - vanilla ice cream cone 

fourth meal- spaghetti with cheese and butter (a ds nightmare). 

Due to my poor dietary choices yesterday, this morning I am up early pooping and having killer gas while my family sleeps. Still, I will be fine today and have no fear that my one day of vacationing will affect the scale. 

LosingSally
on 8/1/14 8:39 am

Hi Nancy,

This is a very good question. I haven't been here in a while for one reason, many people attacked those who mentioned regain of weight. NO matter which surgery, it caused friction, probably because of all our fears about going back to the size we were at surgery.

I have a hybrid surgery with a tiny pouch, and a short 200cm common channel. I don't absorb  much fats, and carbs cause extreme gas that is really yukky. As with most people I have had some regain over the last couple of years.  I am 9 years out, healthy, I was never completely off hypertension meds and I am now 58 years old, and taking a higher dose than before.

I was 144 at my lowest weight, and I weigh 167 now. I go up and down over time, I have been around 170, but I usually stay about 165. Since I weighed 296 before, I don't feel too badly about 167.  But my fear of being back at nearly 300 lbs is always with me.

I recall many people a few years back, at 2-3 years out saying that regain with DS is practically impossible. I know several people personally, and as they age, and get further our from surgery, and the body adjusts to it all, every single one has some weight gain at this time. These are DS surgeries. I also know some with RNY who have gained as well, and  earlier in the process than DS. I also know one person with a sleeve who hasn't regained an ounce, but is only 4 years out.

So, I would guess that since we are fat people who overeat for many reasons, or are more hungry than the average size person, we would continue to eat more than is good for us. The early years are a good time to try to change habits, but since you can almost eat a horse at every meal ( metaphor!) in the early days, and not gain, it sort of fools us into thinking it can't happen. So I would say be aware that regain will probably happen, and how you do early out in better eating habits will determine if you gain a little or a lot or even back to where you were. There are at least 6 people who I see for business, that have regained all their weight. Different surgeries between them, yet not one of them took it seriously, and believed they were free to eat anything and that their weight problems were solved forever. They now tell others who are thinking of weight loss surgery " it won't work, it's no good, I went through the pain for nothing!". And they warn that everyone will be fat again so just don't do it.

I say do it if you want it, and need to lose weight. Look at all the side effects, and where some effects may be made little of, be aware that some people have each and every one of them, and have to live with it, or it would not be mentioned by your surgeon. Choose what you can live with, and are comfortable with, and best suits your needs. I would warn about the band, it seems to have the least effectiveness early on, or later on. But if you know the risks and side effects and choose it, maybe it is right for you.

Best wishes.

Nancy T.
on 8/1/14 12:03 pm
DS on 07/16/13

Thank you for your frankness.  Before my surgery the doctor, nutritionist, psychologist, EVERYONE said this is only a tool, it is not a magic bullet to keep weight off.  It will still be work.  I am finding it so.  The first nine months were really not so hard, I wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat much, and was perfectly diligent in what I ate.  No sweets, carbs were watched carefully.  Then I started getting my appetite back and the pouch was stretching, which is normal.  Now I find I want to eat more and have the taste for bad things.  I do have to say, whether good or bad, carbs and sugar don't give me bad gas and diaharrea.  Yes, I do get some, but not peel the paint bad.  My weight wasn't going down for a while and that was frustrating.  It's now moving again thankfully.   I know people who had the RNY who only went so far before giving up and gaining again. Same with the band.   But I am glad to know some who have had success with the RNY and are keeping their weight under control.   I do not regret for a minute having DS.  It is a battle to remember I have to think and eat thin, not let the bad eating habits and desires rise up and take over.  I agree with you, these early years are necessary to build good habits.

Thanks again.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 835 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1092 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views