Surgery scheduled, vitamin questions, lab results, and ramblings

Star0210
on 10/26/14 1:05 am, edited 10/26/14 5:24 am
DS on 11/28/14

This is probably gonna be long so thanks in advance for reading and I appreciate any input!

I was sleeved back in March of 2010. Scheduled for Nov 28th in Mexicali with Dr. Ungson to have the switch part added. I have no idea if I need a re-sleeve or not and will let him make that decision. I do still have restriction but not nearly as much. my HW was 292, my SW was 273, my LW was somewhere around 160. My CW is 200. I never did make it to goal. I dealt with a lot of health issues over the last several years...none of which were sleeve related in any way. 

I'm not nervous about going to Mexico or having the procedure done but my husband is. He is reluctantly going along with it because as he says...I don't have any logical or rational reasons for opposing it other than I just don't want you to do it. He knows how I am and he knows I've researched it to death and did all of my due diligence. He does have some concerns about the whole re-routing of my plumbing parts and long term implications of that. I sent him to dsfacts and he's been reading up. He is my rock and my biggest supporter even though he's not 100% convinced this is necessary. I haven't told very many people I'm doing this because everybody is negative about it. 

I ordered a 60 day supply of the prepackaged DS vitamins from VL. I'm going to start taking those as soon as they arrive. I haven't been taking any vitamins lately at all except my primary has me on a 12 week course of 50,000 u of Vit D (1 pill/week).  I need to work on getting my ferritin levels up. I had become severely anemic a few years ago due to female issues and had a hysterectomy and then a 6 hour iron infusion. All the hematologist really cared about were my h&h levels. 

Labs is my business..I run a direct access lab test company. Anybody can order their own labs through us at big discounts. I went and had labs run last week. Below are some of my results. We use LabCorp.

Iron, serum 91                  Range 35-155
Albumin 4.2                      Range 20-40
Potassium 4.4                   Range 3.5-5.2
Calcium serum 9.6             Range 8.7-10.2
Protein total serum 6.9      Range 6.0-8.5
B12 421                           Range 211-946
Folic acid 6.4                     Range >3.0
Vitamin D 23.9                  Range 30-100
Vit B1 plasma (I goofed and ordered plasma instead of whole blood - plasma shows only recent intake rather than body stores) less than 6.7 LOW  Range 8.1-32.9
Magnesium 1.9                  Range 1.6-2.6
Zinc 117                           Range 56-134
Ferritin 20                         Range 15-150
PTH Intact 39                    Range 15-65
Vitamin A 39                     Range 18-77

Given that I am going to start on VL's DS Regimen as soon as they arrived, will what's included iron wise be enough to raise my ferritin level or should I get something else to take in addition to try to get it up?

I also wanted to add that it is so comforting to have so many knowledgeable people to turn to who are willing to share what they've learned with new people like me. Thank you all so very much...especially the long time vets...it's much appreciated!

Star0210
on 10/26/14 3:59 am, edited 10/26/14 5:19 am
DS on 11/28/14
Star0210
on 10/26/14 5:18 am, edited 10/26/14 5:21 am
DS on 11/28/14
Star0210
on 10/26/14 4:01 am, edited 10/26/14 5:15 am
DS on 11/28/14
PeteA
on 10/26/14 4:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Not quite sure what is going on with your post. Were you cutting and pasting from somewhere?

You might try and eliminate the white sspace between your lab results to get more in. As far as I know there isn't a character limit.

Looks like you will be on top of your labs - that is a good thing. 

If your prescription D is in a gel cap you will want to switch to a dry formulation post-op. (biotech/vitalady 50k). You might also want to
push your B12 higher. Many of us settle in at between 1000 and 2000 post-op. It flushes out so not a problem having high B12.

If you reprint your labs you should add the ranges from the lab that you use. Some have different ranges and it's easier for people
to look at the values if the ranges are there.

A lot of the people that end up needing iron infusions look primarily at their ferritin levels. You might want to check that too.

Welcome.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Star0210
on 10/26/14 5:12 am, edited 10/26/14 5:22 am
DS on 11/28/14

It's driving me nuts...I've tried editing. I've switched to my laptop from my ipad. 

Will it allow me to just delete this thread altogether and start over? 

I am going to try starting a whole new thread. I copied my edited post...the one that did not post! lol

Edited to say I think I figured it out. It didn't like the "less than" sign. 

MajorMom
on 10/26/14 6:33 pm - VA

I agree with Pete and the formatting on OH is impossible to work with. 

Your calcium and PTH look just a little high but that should fix itself once you start taking calcium citrate, magnesium citrate and get the D3 up.  I have to add boron and a mag citrate with each calcium dose and I'm taking 3600mg a day. I've also added vitamin K2 and take hormone replacements. I slipped into osteoporosis after 1 year post-op but have brought it back to osteopenia now. There doesn't seem to be a test for vitamin K2, so VL suggests an osteocalcin test in which lower is better similar to PTH. 

VL's carbonyl iron should help bring your iron, ferritin and H&H up. She recommends 300mg of carbonyl. My labs were sluggish, so I added a tablet of Proferrin every night, and the combo of carbonyl and heme iron worked great. I've been able to cut back on the iron supplements now.

Your protein and albumin look great and that will help your body heal after surgery. 

The B vitamins are tricky for us. I had to stop the B-complex and now only take a B1 capsule every other day. The Bs in my multivitamin are more than enough to keep those levels up.  My multi is also keeping selenium up and I don't supplement that any more.

All in all, your labs look pretty good compared to some folks. I'm really interested in your lab that helps folks get their tests done. There are a few things I'd like to check to see if what I'm doing is working without going back through my docs.

Thanks,

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Star0210
on 10/27/14 1:01 am
DS on 11/28/14

Thank you so very much. for the sleeve, I didn't have to know to this depth about vitamins so I didn't make the effort to learn! Now moving forward with the DS I know I have to really understand this a whole lot better. It's quite daunting!

i don't know if we're allowed to promote things on here...I tried to send you a private message but it says your profile is private? 

MajorMom
on 10/27/14 2:15 am - VA

I can't even send you a friend request but if you can send me one you should be able to send me messages and see my profile.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Star0210
on 10/27/14 3:41 am
DS on 11/28/14

well this is no good...because I can't send you one either! lol

Most Active