Labs feedback purleese! ;-)

Huneypie
on 12/12/14 12:29 am, edited 12/12/14 2:40 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hi all, I know I've been MIA - I got very seriously dehydrated (ie hallucinations) due to a side effect of the calcium I was taking (Cacit D3 which is citrate and I got it on prescription)... I'm back to taking tablets now as I don't ever want to get that bad again.  That happened a couple of months ago and I didn't take vitamins and less protein (maybe 60g a day) for about 5 days.

I'm doing the Vitalady range of vitamins with calcium 7 times a day for a total of 4,200mg, magnesuim in a 2:1 ratio with the calcium and 500mg of vitamin K2.  Thankfully my PTH and D are OK.

I'm doing 5,000mg of B12 once a week... may drop that to every other week as there's no point flushing money!! 

Notable labs are below, but the full set are on this link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33417203/Nov2014Labs.pdf

Feedback is much appreciated - TIA.

Urea HIGH 7.1 [3.3-6.7]
Correct Calcium LOW 2.04 [2.15-2.6]
Globulin LOW 24 [25-35]
MCV HIGH 96.7 [77-95]
MPV LOW 6.5 [7.4-10.4]
Lymphocytes LOW 1.28 [1.3-4]

Folate HIGH 16.9 [3-13.3]

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PeteA
on 12/12/14 2:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Wow. Glad you are feeling better that had to be pretty scary.

You already hit everything that I picked up on. If the B12 isn't prescription
my personal preference would be to take 500mg every other day because I am
not really sure how long the excess stays in your system but certainly what you are doing
is working great - so I would cut back to every other week if that's easier for you.

Good with the K2 as I understand it that will help with the calcium absorption along with
the magnesium. You may want to looks at k2-MK4 vs Mk7 it seems to me I saw somewhere that
one is better than the other for calcium absorption but now I'm not sure. What kind of magnesium
are you taking? While mag oxide helps with the constipation of the calcium there are other forms
better for absorption into your body. I take bot mag oxide and mag glycinate (chelated). 

Keep feeling better and Happy Holidays. Good to have you back.

Pete

Huneypie
on 12/12/14 3:40 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Thanks Pete. I'll buy lower dose B12 next time I get some... at this rate the one I have is gonna last forever! ;-)

From memory my K2 is is MK7 (I'm not at home so can'take check the pack).  Anyway I have the better one of the 2.

I'm going to see my PCP on Tuesday to get their input... I just like to have done what digging I can ahead of time. 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/16/14 1:29 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I forgot to mention that I use magnesium citrate.  That one's meant to be good for calcium absorption.

Anyways, the doc said that the questionable levels are only slightly out of range and she's done a new blood work order to get them re-done to see if they've improved or worsened.  Calcium I have to wait until I see my consultant as the PCP has no clue what to do about that!! :-S

I  my DS  

MajorMom
on 12/12/14 6:33 pm - VA

I'm so glad you're better, but what you went through sounds terribly scary. You've been missed and I'm happy to see you. Your nutritional labs look good except for the calcium and that's just strange. Your body is not processing it for some reason. You're doing everything right as far as I can see.  Let us know what your PCP says.

--gina   

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 12/13/14 8:38 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Thanks Gina.  We'll see what the docs say.  Some of those odd numbers, like Lymphocytes I think mean your immune system is low and you're more susceptible to stuff... maybe that was why I got thrush so bad earlier this year.

I'll report back when I have more info.  ((Hugs)) from Huneypie!! ;-)

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/16/14 1:31 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I forgot to mention that my folate is high, ie 16.9 when the range it 3-13.  I take that 1,200mg 3 times a week so I may cut back to only once or twice a week... just as well as those sublinguals are expensive!! ;-)

Anyways, the doc said that the questionable levels are only slightly out of range and she's done a new blood work order to get them re-done to see if they've improved or worsened.  Calcium I have to wait until I see my consultant as my PCP has no clue what to do about that!! :-S

I  my DS  

southernlady5464
on 12/13/14 10:20 pm

No input as you are getting more help than I would be as Gina had to hand hold ME...:)

I am just glad you are better and yes, you have been missed...here and elsewhere.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Huneypie
on 12/14/14 1:02 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hey Liz, thanks for saying 'hi'! ;-)

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/16/14 1:35 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

The docs gonna re-run my tests as they're only slightly out of range and she'll see when the new results come through.  Re the high urea she said that means 'drink more!!' What of course - I've only have one Bailey's this year... I hate getting dizzy which is what it does to me post DS - and yes I'd eaten loads - it's rare to catch me on an empty stomach! ;-)

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 731 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1031 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views