Strange Bone Density Reading

Batwingsman
on 1/18/15 9:04 am, edited 1/18/15 9:21 am - Garland, TX

Hi All,

LTNPost, I know ..   

I have a question about unusually HIGH bone density that hopefully someone on here can answer.  

I bought one of the new Weigh****chers bath scales last week, as I wanted a scale that measures and calculates body fat %, hydration %, and bone density %, in addition to just pounds.  I had never taken these specialized measurements before, either as a pre-op or post-op, other than body fat % using one of those hand-held gizmos.

When I used the scale for the first time, I was shocked to see that my bone density was 8.8%, which was off the given scale to the maximum end, being about 1/3 HIGHER than the normal level for someone of my gender and age (53).      If anything, I expected to be below normal or even off the normal end of range, since I have continued to have high calcium PTH levels (i.e. calcium loss) ever since my DS 8+ years ago.  Can anyone come up with a theory as to what would cause abnormally high bone density, esp. in a post-op?  Or, are these type of scales not exactly accurate in taking those measurements?      For what it's worth, the scale also measures and calculates my hydration level as being off the given scale to the minimum end, based on my gender and age.  However, I show no actual signs of dehydration (e.g. the skin pinch test on the back of the hands).  Again, maybe these scales aren't all they're cracked up to be?                

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Shawnern
on 1/18/15 9:51 am - Rochester, MN

I would not  put much faith in a scale like that myself. Scales can be off just when weighing yourself. I can only imagine how far off it would be on bone density.

Shawn

PattyL
on 1/18/15 4:20 pm

I probably wouldn't believe what a scale tells me about bone density.  Do get the real test if you are concerned.

But your results are very logical and many of us have high bone density simply because our bone had to be stronger than average to support our weight.  Particularly those who had high BMI's preop.  We do lose bone density as we age and as we lose massive quantities of weight.  But it takes 10 years or so to replace all our bone.

MsBatt
on 1/19/15 2:29 am

Not that I believe your scales, but one BIG reason that YOU might have high bone density is because you've regained a lot of weight and your bones have grown thicker in order to carry you around.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views