revision concerns

sadsailor
on 7/19/15 9:33 pm - san diego, CA
DS on 07/31/15

Hello,

I went from a lap band to VSG in 2010 and now I am considering a DS. Reason being is that I went from 241 to 180 on the sleeve within 4 months, and now I am back to 217 five years later. I actually gained weight when I had the lap band and I believe the DS will have long term effect.

I am a marathoner and currently training for the las vegas rock and roll, I run 5 times a week and run about 120 miles a month. I also strength train. My question is, how long will it for me to be able to get back to work and running? When I got my sleeve, I returned to IRAQ about a week later, I was just a bit weak but i was fine. After two weeks, I was out running again.

Also, for those who have had the sleeve previously, was the incision for the DS in the same area as the sleeve? 

About how many pills will I have to take on a daily basis?

Thank you in advance

Pearl

PattyL
on 7/20/15 11:29 am

Restriction alone isn't doing the job so yes, I would have the DS.

However it's not likely you would be back to marathon training 2 weeks postop.  The DS does have a recovery time and it takes time to adjust and learn your new system.  Your recovery time would be shorter because all you are doing is the intestinal switch but it still takes time to learn your new normal.

If the OP is LAP you would end up with 4 or *****ture type wounds.  Most likely not in the same place because they probably wouldn't want to go through scar tissue from the previous OP.

Pills per day is very individual.  I take about 25 per day.  Half morning and half evening.

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I also wouldn't recommend marathon training so quickly, for the risk of a hernia.  Pills per day varies.  I was up to 14 per day, but cut 10 of those out using transdermal vitamin patches (patchmd.com).  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine16
on 7/28/15 5:32 am

Hi Varlerie,

You state you were up 14 vitamins and supplements a day and you cut 10.  So are you only taking 4 pills a day.  Also since its been awhile from the surgery and the malabsorption is not as strong are you still taking 50,000 iu of Vitamin D per day?  I'm thinking I'm not needing to take as much since I do not go as often.  Darn near feel regular. 

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

southernlady5464
on 7/28/15 7:39 am

Before dropping ANY vitamins...have labs pulled and GO BY your own lab work.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Sunshine16
on 7/28/15 7:54 am

Labwork looks Great!   2 years my D levels been at 50

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Valerie G.
on 7/29/15 8:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My difference is that I'm now taking the majority of my vitamins transdermally now, thus bypassing the digestive system all together.  They have not in any way been eliminated.   I recommend getting your levels to a steady state before trying patches first.  Always let your labs be your guide.  

Valerie
DS 2005

Lisaann68
on 8/20/15 9:42 am

Valerie,

Can you please tell me which patch you use, as they have so many. And can you please tell me about how much you pay per day?

Thank you very much!

Lisa

Valerie G.
on 8/20/15 10:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I am using the MultiVitamin Plus patch from Patchmd.com.  With the discount coupon codes I've found along the way with them, it comes out to only $12/month for one patch daily, worn for 12 hours.

Valerie
DS 2005

Lisaann68
on 8/20/15 12:10 pm

Oh great..that is what I ordered. Do you take anything in addition, or just the patch?

Thank you very much! The idea of putting a patch on is heaven for me, since I contently forget to take my vitamins!

Thank you,

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1057 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1218 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views