Bait and Switch

-Flo-
on 3/10/16 5:39 pm
DS on 04/11/16

So I posted the other day that i was going for consultation today for a revision of sleeve to switch. As Larra and Patty warned, the doctor tried to do the bait and switch. Right off the bat, the nurse says to me "so you are here for a revision to the bypass", i said no the DS and she said "what's that". Not a good sign. The appointment went downhill from there. So it turns out the surgeon has only done 10 duodenal switches. He was very arrogant and didn't like the fact that I was "doctor shopping". So he is not the one for me.

I am currently debating between Dr. Hill, Dr. Greenbaum, and Dr. Roslin. Has anyone had any experience with them?

PattyL
on 3/10/16 5:52 pm

Sorry Flo!  I thought this would happen.  Any doc who wants to pay on this site can say he/she does the DS.  And they do.

I am familiar with both these docs through other people.  Just make sure they understand you want a 2 anastomosis DS.  A 'true' DS.  I know both of these docs have post-ops around here.

Revision from sleeve to RNY fails the simple logic test.  You already have half the DS done.  Makes more sense to just get the other half and call it good!  Congratulations for sticking up for yourself.  If he had accused ME of doctor shopping, I would have said thanks for the compliment!  But you would be amazed how many people out there will just do whatever a doc tells them to do without question.

Never, ever, settle!

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/16 11:32 am

I was scheduled for a DS at CT hospital and 7 days before the surgery, the surgeon told me he was moving to Texas, and no one else at hospital was qualified.

I switched to Lenox Hill in NYC and a highly recommended Dr. Roslin. He has performed every variation of WLS surgery known for the past 20+ years. He told me they stopped performing everything except the sleeve and DS. As for the DS, in most cases he will recommend the Single loop (also called SADi) DS. It's never than the DS but has been around for about 8 years with excellent results. 

For me the key factors were less risk, high likelihood of keeping weight off, lower malabsorption issues, fewer vitamins and ability to eat normal about a year out.

I'm 15 months out, lost 140lbs in the first 9 months and have the benefits per above. My starting BMI was lightweight at 40, and is now about 19. I don't really believe BMI is a good measure but since everyone knows it, I'll use it for reference.

I highly recommend Dr. Roslin but don't expect hand holding or warm fuzzy. He's professional and experienced, and you'll get great results.

For me that was all that mattered. I'm sure he'll recommend the SADi unless you have extenuating cir****tances.

Good luck with whichever Dr and procedure you choose.

Cj7Coy
on 3/13/16 5:45 pm

Hello

I have not had experience with either doctor but Dr Greenbaum is open surgery from what I've heard on this sight. I can tell you that laproscopic is so much better than open as for the recovery, complications & pain.

I had a stomach stapling 20 years ago open surgery which failed after a year because my old stomach grew back to smaller stomach. I had a laproscopic DS in August 2015. Wow the difference was so great. I didn't even want to move, cough, or anything else along with a lot of gas with the open but with the laproscopic DS the pain was more soreness & gas but no excruciating pain. I didn't need much pain meds after  laparoscopic DS but I used A morphine pump when I had the open stomach stapling for the entire week that I stayed at the hospital.

I have been told laproscopic also allows better visual for doctors because they can magnify your organs as they are working on you. But despite that I have heard that Dr Greenbaum is good & he also only charges about $15000 for those who have no insurance.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 387 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 842 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 274 views