OH Article on the Vitamin and Mineral Absorption of DSers

Batwingsman
on 4/5/16 4:27 pm - Garland, TX

Kudos to OH for including this article, written by Dr. Greenbaum, in the OH Newsletter this month.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/vitamin-and-mineral-abso rption-with-the-duodenal-switch-ds

The article is a bit alarming though in that it seems to indicate we need to do regular blood tests for just about every vitamin and mineral (some of which are not even on the recommended annual lab lists).  It seems it's possible for us to get not just too little of one or another but also too much, which can also be dangerous in some instances.  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

PeteA
on 4/17/16 10:15 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It's an interesting article but I don't see anything new to be alarmed at.

I didn't see any warnings about getting too much of anything and really the only things I've seen anyone mention about getting too
much of is B6 which seems to be more of a genetic predisposition for some people aggravated by the DS>

A few of the minerals are not on my annual labs but most everything else is (selenium, phosphorous, magmesium not usually done). I would think some things are just not tested unless you are exhibiting a symptom that leads a Doc in that direction.

Just a few quibbles.

I think 2 multi's are better than 1 just for the trace elements. Many Docs go with that.
   As a general rule all that ADEK combo stuff eventually leaves you off balance on individual doses per labs. My feeling is better to take separate from the start. Less expensive too.
   He talks about 50k IU vitamin D in the body but then the recommendations list has a lower dose. I think the 50k is probably a better starting point and then back off if necessary. My own experience was that I spent a lot of my first 6 months going up gradually begfore just giving in and going to the 50k. Time and stress totally avoidable.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1053 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1216 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views