Need Some Helpful DS Advice

Michelle B.
on 8/12/16 4:38 pm

I am going to be having duodenal switch surgery on 9/12/2016 (I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy on 4/4/2016).  I am really excited to be getting the DS surgery but I am also a little nervous and scared.  I know this surgery is going to benefit me in the long run but I'm worried about any problems that may arise from it.  Has anyone on here had any complications or problems after their DS surgery?  Any issues with dumping or diarrhea and the foods that tend to cause them?  Any helpful tips for recovering at home besides walking and sipping?  I welcome any helpful advice and tips that will help me get through this successfully. 

PattyL
on 8/12/16 9:05 pm

Most everyone has some diarrhea in the beginning.  Your system has to adjust and adapt.  Since you already have the VSG, it shouldn't be bad at all.  Dumping is very uncommon with the DS.  Just take it easy postop.  The diet is easy.  Protein and fat are good and carbs are bad.

At least till you get the weight off, the only good carb is one you don't eat.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 9:15 pm

You're all but gauranteed to have various issues come up post surgery, but none will compare to the life threatening issues of being morbidly obese. 

Embrace the change and get comfortable rolling with the punches. It will help post surgery, and in life.

Laura in Texas
on 8/13/16 4:44 am

I still don't understand why he did not give you the DS in the first place.

Crappy carbs seem to cause people the most trouble.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

K P.
on 8/13/16 9:11 am
DS on 07/08/14

The foods are different for everyone but carbs tend to be universal. Just say goodbye to them and you'll be fine. 

The biggest thing I wish I would have done is taken it easy longer. Remember you just had major and I mean major surgery so you need to be patient with yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal. Wish I would have listened to that myself. 

Congratulations! 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

PeteA
on 8/15/16 10:43 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I haven't had any real issues from my DS. As far as dumping is concerned while anyone can dump people with a VSG (the first part of the DS) rarely seem to have that problem. It's essentially a stomach issue so if you don't have the issue now with your VSG adding the switch won't change that. 
I only had any real BM problems the first 6 months and even then not big issues. For me if I have a large amount of sugar/carbs I'm sure to be on the toilet within the hour but a small amount and regular meals don't cause that problem.

Maybe some of the other 2 stage people will chime in. My take from other posts is that in some ways recovery will be easier because you are already through the adjustment period with your new stomach.

Congrats and have a safe/quick surgery. Worth every minute.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 482 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 902 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 303 views