Checking In - Old-Timer (DS was 11+ years ago)

Morganna
on 8/26/16 10:23 am

Hi all!

I had my DS in April 2005 in Chicago. The surgery was performed by Dr. John C. Alverdy. I haven't posted here in about four years, and my last post was pretty much a cry for help, because I had had a significant weight regain. I got some (mostly loving) rebukes for my crappy eating habits and lots and lots of excellent advice and encouragement. My weight history since my DS has gone like this:

Starting weight: 326 lbs (I'm 5' 3 1/2" with a petite bone structure)

After my DS I lost steadily until I was about 125 lbs. and I stayed right there for awhile. Then I started losing again and got down to a scary-skinny 117 lbs. My follow-up DS surgeon (Dr. Margaret Inman in Carmel, Indiana) was concerned enough to warn me that if I continued to lose like that she would recommend a revision.

To counteract the extreme weight loss I started drinking sodas laced with sugar and not restricting sweets, even though they did make me feel pretty crappy. Gradually I began to gain weight. My poor eating habits caused me to eventually gain weight back into the 130s, 140s, 150s and then my weight zoomed. I never dreamed I would ever see the 160s again, but I did - the 160s, the 170s, and even the 180s. I was hovering around the 190 mark and feeling huge and miserable. I got rid of all my beautiful "skinny" clothing and started shopping in the plus sizes again, which was heartbreaking because I thought I was done with those sizes forever. I despaired of ever being any smaller ever again, and I tried to mentally prepare myself to be over 200 lbs.

Then, two years ago I decided to go on the Paleo diet. I didn't follow it strictly - I just concentrated on high-quality proteins and cut out all concentrated sugar, starting with sugary drinks. The weight started to come off easily. When I got back down in the 170s I was satisfied and decided to stop the diet. However, I had adjusted my everyday eating enough that I never did stop concentrating on protein and cutting out the sugar, so I still continued to lose.

Fast-forward to today. I am steadily losing weight and am down to 148 lbs. and still losing easily. I regret getting rid of all my "skinny" clothes because all those plus-size clothes I have in my closet now don't fit me. I've bought a few new things but because I am still losing I don't want to buy many because I don't know where I'm going to end up this time. I would like to stay around 135 - 140 lbs. but I will cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

I'm curious to know if anybody else has experienced anything like this after their DS. And if anybody else is struggling with weight regain - going on Paleo for a bit jump-started my weight loss, and I didn't have to stay on it forever. Just pushing the protein and cutting out the sugar has done the trick for me. Your mileage may vary.

Have a great weekend all,

Morganna in Indiana

PattyL
on 8/26/16 12:21 pm

Hi there!  Nice to see you!

Morganna
on 8/27/16 3:17 am

Nice to see you too Patty! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/16 9:28 am

I'm a male version of your situation in the earlier stages. I'm just short of 2 years out, and down to scary thin so I'm eating and drinking anything I want to prevent further weight loss, including lots of sugar.

Can you provide a rough timeline for your weight loss down to scary skinny and eventual regain timeframes?

Morganna
on 8/27/16 9:47 am

I was 117 lbs at 3 years out. At four years out I was steadily regaining and by 8-9 years out I was a blimp again. Then at around 9.5 years out I went on a very loose version of the Paleo diet and started losing. Even though I went off it after a few months I have continued to lose. This morning I weighed 146.8 lbs so my weight loss is actually accelerating.

Hope this helps!

Morganna in Indiana

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/16 5:51 pm

Thanks

Valerie G.
on 8/31/16 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's good to see you back, Morganna!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Morganna
on 8/31/16 5:12 am

Thanks Valerie! :)

larra
on 8/31/16 5:37 pm - bay area, CA

Hi Morgana! I remember you. I'm glad you're doing well these days.

Larra

need2gethealthy
on 9/3/16 8:14 am

Hi Morganna,

Thank you for sharing the good information.  Glad you are back and doing well again.  I wish you continued success.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views