Controlling The Gas Monster (Tip)

HeavyJ
on 9/17/17 8:39 am - SC

Nearly 10 years out on my DS and the past 3 months I was being very gassy. And stinky. I have read here about "bacterial overgrowth" in the gut. I didn't think that was the problem. Plus I always take a probiotic (Acidophilus Pearls) morning and night.

I did some online research about frequent smelly gas. Lots out there discuss Organic Cider Apple Vinegar. It has to be organic so that it includes "the mother." The mother being the catalyst that started the fermentation.

For four days now, I have taken 2 tsp of this vinegar before every meal with a glass of something to rinse out the taste. I keep a little jug at work for lunchtime. My gassiness has decreased immensely to maybe 3-4 farts per day as opposed to 3-4 per hour. And my poo has become more solid. (Sorry, non-DSers. Poo and farts are a common topic in the DS forum.)

I have also added activated charcoal to my supplements. These giant black capsules are supposed to reduce the aroma of the farts that do occur. I've been taking them for only a few days and have mixed results. But all in all, I am a much more pleasant person to be in the general vicinity of.

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/17/17 11:43 am
I'would nix the charcoal. It can interfere with the vitamins you take.

Also do an elimination diet. Sometimes we eat things that can cause terrible gas.

Scott
HeavyJ
on 9/17/17 12:04 pm - SC

Thanks for the heads up on the charcoal. A little research reveals activated charcoal binds with / absorbs things in the stoma*****luding some prescription medications and over-the-counter supplements. It says to wait at least an hour after taking these before taking the charcoal.

MajorMom
on 9/18/17 2:14 am - VA

I had to up the probiotics to VSL#3 @ 300 billion bugs a dose twice a day. It's been the only thing that works for me. You can order the packets over Amazon. My sweet spot is a 1/2 tsp twice a day of the powdered probiotic.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 9/18/17 10:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

ACV has given me better results than any probiotic pill, too!

Dr. Bragg has a line of ACV beverages that are actually claiming themselves to be energy drinks. They may be easier to take to work.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/18/17 9:03 pm
I found that you can mix ACV with one of those single packet drinks mixes (the kind that go into bottles of water. I take a sip out of the water bottle, put in the ACV, and a packet.

I prefer orange flavored ones (Orange Crush is awesome!).

Scott
Sunshine16
on 9/20/17 10:39 am

Lady I just discovered it this last weekend at Krogers...the cinnamon is delicious causing me to not think its very effective...but Did not see much results with the energy.. Lately I have been doing the hot drink with the ACV and half squeezed lemonade...effective. Still observing, last night no gas, but diet was also awesome.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Sunshine16
on 9/20/17 4:01 pm

Yes I am testing the Apple Cider Vinegar, has not gotten rid of the gas, but not as often. I usually have gas in the evening from eating so much carbs....Thank you GOD its the evenings. Right now I'm doing a cleansing by eating a vegetable soup. Really good as far as not going all during the day number 2, more regulated. Plus I take NOWprobiotic, 2 pills in the evening. I am not sure why I tend to really gas up afterwards, but I feel a whole lot better. Plus sometimes I do a hot toddy in the evenings, Apple Cider vinegar, with a half a squeeze lemon to deflate from the nasty taste...and it works. Make sure rinse your mouth because you do not want the acid to affect your teeth enamel.

This is a life time changeable program, which is expensive.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 925 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1146 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 403 views