Ok to take dry Vitamin A with Dry K?

Marquismark
on 8/21/18 11:02 am
DS on 12/10/15

I've read that K can't compete with A & D for absorption so it's best to take K away from those two. This makes my vitamin schedule much more complicated.

I'm wondering if that advice only applies to oil-packed vits for normies and not us?

Anyone have any experience with this to share?

PeteA
on 8/24/18 6:01 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I can't say that I have ever seen that kind of competition with K and anything else.

I currently take my K with both A and D (all Biotech dry) and haven't seen any lowering
of my A or K levels and my D has gone up.

Can you post some links I would like to see the source?

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Marquismark
on 8/24/18 8:02 am
DS on 12/10/15

Good to hear it's working out for you. Did you ever take them apart? Was the level different?

Anyway, I can't find the main one, but here's one:

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/supplement-medication-com bos-never-mix/

But I understand most vitamin "research" is theoretical, biased, anecdotal, etc. so I don't put any of it on a pedestal. That's why I was just curious what everyone else has heard.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

PeteA
on 8/24/18 8:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I did take them apart - at one point my philosophy was to spread everything out as much as possible. A little over 6 months ago I moved all the dry vitamins to first thing in the morning. I had heard a while back that taking the "dry" versions on an empty stomach might be helpful. Like I said it seemed to help D but no change on A and K at my last yearly labs.

So most of the competing vitamins match what I have always heard and read. The K paragraph seems a little wishy washy to me but something I would keep in mind in future reading.

I get you on the vitamin research. Some is pretty well tested, some is extrapolation, and some seems to be less supported.

The one thing I keep to from early on is if you are having trouble with a specific vitamin try and isolate it to see if that helps. Labs rule, so while I may try different timings I'm OK to backtrack if I see an issue there.

I always find vitamins and absorption rates interesting and look for anything new. :)

Pete

Janet P.
on 8/24/18 9:52 am

I was hoping someone would respond. I've taken them together and never noticed any issues (I tend to have low A, fine E, and K & D are OK because of the massive amounts I take - I also take K1 & K2).

I always assumed that because there was a comprehensive vitamin "ADEK" that those 4 were meant to be taken together. The problem with the ADEK is when you needed to supplement, which I think most of us do with higher amounts of D & K.

I've tried separating my vitamins but I tend to "forget" when I do that. I've also tried taking vitamins in the middle of the night or right before bed, but they tend to bother my stomach more so I stick with vitamins 3 times a day - about an hour or so before each meal.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Eliza970
on 8/24/18 9:46 pm

I just got my 13-year DS labs back and I take all the vitamins together on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. My levels of all of the vitamins were perfect. I never, ever miss the vitamins with this strategy and it's working for me. I might go for a more complicated schedule, if I were having issues with a vitamin, but I would probably first just increase the dose of the outlier. My schedule for minerals involves taking only one mineral on any given day, to avoid competition between them, but in a higher dose of each to make up for skipped days. But every DS patient is different. Let your labs be your guide. If the labs are ok, I don't think you need to make the schedule more complex because of some perceived competition.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views