1 month out from DS surgery and need advice 7/21/23

SkullyRose
on 7/21/23 1:22 pm
DS on 08/25/23

Hello All:

I am one month away from my DS surgery and I am very excited about the changes that are to come. I am also very nervous about how my food habits and relationship with food will change once I have the surgery.

Can anyone give me advice on any of the following topics:

1. how to get through the 15 day pre-op liquid diet
  2. how to prepare mentally the night before/day of the surgery
  3. What the 2 weeks after the surgery is like
  4. Which vitamins and supplements I should buy: from my doctor or online/in store
  5. how to get through the first 6 months of new eating/drinking habits
  6. How fast the weight loss is in the first 6 months/year
  7. Did you need to have skin removal surgery? If so, what areas did you have skin removed?
  8. how often do you see your surgeon for follow-up appointments?
  9. Do you tell people that you had Bariatric surgery or keep that information to close friends and family?
  10. Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 7/22/23 8:43 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I'm just over one year post-op from a modified duodenal switch, also known as a loop switch/SADI/SAD/SIPS.

Congratulations on your upcoming procedure. I would advise not to wait to make changes. Do what you can now to work toward diet changes and where you want to be. I started right after my consultation and it made the liquid diet much easier to handle since I was already eating less food.

Detox off carbs by following your clinic's plan now if you can as it will help with the cravings during that time.

The two weeks after surgery included some sleeping in a recliner, limited lifting, and a lot of sipping and walking. It's an all-day procedure to get in your water and nutrition at that point. Walk as much as you can!

As for vitamins, I'd recommend following your clinic's plan initially until you heal and begin to work out what your path is. I've learned that the individual clinic plans vary wildly, so it's best to work with what your doctor tells you initially. I had follow ups at two weeks, a month, three, six, nine, and 12 so far with several including bloodwork. I'll have an 18 month and then move to yearly unless needed. I do have to go back for more bloodwork in a month since I'm low on protein.

Personally, only two family members and two friends are aware of my surgery. I don't share at work as a choice I made. Total strangers though? Yep, I had surgery.

Hope this helps. If you're looking for some daily support and feedback, consider joining the daily menu thread in the RNY forum. All surgery types are welcome and it's the most active place on the site. Best wishes.

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

PattyL
on 7/23/23 12:20 pm

7. In 3 years or so, you will know. Skin shrinks for about 2 years after massive weight loss. Your genetics, age, how long you were heavy, how much you need to lose, will determine your outcome. No way to tell how you will fare. Wait and see.

6. Just lose as much as you can as fast as you can. The magic of effortless weight loss does go away. Don't even worry about losing too fast unless your BMI is actually low. And yes, people who have never known you as a thin person will say you have lost too much. Don't listen.

4. If you are having a traditional DS get the vitalady list on the web.

5. NBD because your smaller stomach won't let you overeat. Eat very slowly. Sip constantly. Remember you will eventually be able to eat and drink like a 'normal' person. Just takes time.

9. Up to you. Some tell and others don't.

Batwingsman
on 7/24/23 2:13 am - Garland, TX

I would address many of these questions to your surgeon's support staff .. That's what they're there for .. Who is your surgeon, btw?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

SkullyRose
on 7/24/23 2:28 pm
DS on 08/25/23

Hi. I already discussed all these questions with my doctor and the nurses. I was asking these questions to get other peoples experiences so they can better help shape my experience. Thank you for your reply.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 370 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views