Long distance endurance Bicycling aka Randonneuing

Chad65
on 4/2/11 11:21 pm - San Angelo, TX
I rode me road bicycle 11,865 miles last year then in late Dec 10 found out about RUSA (Randonneuring USA) The have routes called permanents up to 600k.  I am going for and R12 with is riding 200k (128 or more miles on one ride) every month for a year.  I have done 4 of them now, but the last one it was 94 degrees out.  I finish the 200k then had to go to the emergency room with dehydration.  Is my body unable at some point after been on the bicycle for 10 hours not able to absorb water or liquids any longer?  It seems like my RNY gastric bypass can't keep up.  The longest rides I have done so far in one ride is 186 miles.  I am afraid to go beyound this becuase I just can't seem to get enough food or water in for these long rides.  I have no problems with rides 100 mils and below. Rids over 100 miles is where I get into trouble. 

If any one can help I would really appreciate it, thank you.
Sig.jpg picture by Haku2you    
MacMadame
on 4/3/11 3:36 pm - Northern, CA
Since people without WLS have the same issues, I would say it's not that your RnY prevents you from riding longer. That said, having a small stomach can make it more challenging. OTOH, I've done an Ironman so I've been out there 17 hour exercising at high intensity and didn't have a single issue with nutrition. So it can be done.

What I've found is that I need to drink a lot more often than most people. I can only get in 2-4 oz. at a time so I can't suck down the 4-6 oz. every 15-20 min. that is the standard recommendation. I also need to have slider foods for my nutrition so I can drink and eat at the same time.

The other thing I've found is that nutrition plans that work for shorter distances can fall apart at the longer distances. I found I had to add in electrolytes when I moved up from a Half-Ironman to the Full distance, for example.

Finally, the symptoms for overhydrating are often the same as for underhydrating so you need to keep that in mind. If you are drinking lots of water, you need to be taking in lots of electrolytes.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Chad65
on 4/7/11 6:38 am - San Angelo, TX
Wow thanks for all the help, LOL
bigmama26
on 5/14/12 1:38 am - Redding, CA
 I have a question that goes along with this as well. I'm hoping to have RNY done this year and my husband is concerned that I'll hinder his bicycling when I start joining him more often afterwards. He is concerned that I'm going to have to stop every 5 minutes to drink or eat. I don't quite know how to calm his concern. He rides 20-50 miles without much problems. I'm hoping that once some of my weight is off I'll be able to join him more often. He enjoys bicycling and hiking but he's worried that I'll be holding him up after surgery by having to stop to drink. Any advice on what I can say to help relieve some of that concern he has? Thank you in advance. Amanda
LJ1972
on 5/14/12 8:27 am - FL
he may have trouble keeping up with YOU

check out Jillian's blog
www.fattytoironmom.com

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Chad65
on 5/23/12 6:47 am, edited 5/23/12 6:47 am - San Angelo, TX
20 miles is not even worth me getting on my bicycle to ride, but that is enough about me.  You will have no problems drinking on the bicycle from water bottle or camel back.  Take power gels or bars for food.  I have my R12 and P12 and never have any problems keeping up with anyone.  2 weeks ago I came in 2nd place in a 65 mile bicycle race and my time for that was 3 hours and 5 minutes.  That is well over 21 mph average speed for the whole race.  That was all ages as well.  Good luck, sorry it took so long to answer I have been ridding my bicycle.
bigmama26
on 5/23/12 2:28 pm - Redding, CA
 Thank you for getting back to me. Congratulations on placing 2nd. I understand not replying quickly. Seeing how much you ride after having RNY gives me hope. As far as the comment about the 20 miles, I'm lucky if I can make it 5. My husband rides to & from work daily, he's only riding 20 miles those days so as not to take much time away from his family. Thank you again for your advice. 

Most Active